Six kids this week

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About a week ago one of the goats that roams wild on the property kidded. Twins, very tiny since they have Nigerian Dwarf blood.

A few days later, our very skinny looking Pixie dropped two light brown and white babies, both bucklings (we'll have to wether them before they are old enough to miss what they lose). We still don't know where she kept them inside, she didn't look big enough to have one in there, let alone two.

Yesterday we discovered the kids from the wild goat abandoned - one was already down, the other was crying constantly. We took them in and tried to feed them, but the one that was down died within about half an hour. The other one, a little doeling, pretty little brown and white thing, was able to eat. That evening, the mother turned back up, and the baby went right back to her and was nursing happily when we came in for the night (we watched them for several hours to make sure the baby was staying with the mama).

Today, the wild doe is wandering all over the property, and the baby is nowhere to be seen. We can't hear it crying anywhere either. I walked as far up the hill as I could. I suspect she abandoned her sometime early last night, and that the doeling did not survive. Keep hoping she'll turn up.

This evening, our extremely bloated looking Cocoa dropped twins. Haven't been in to check them over yet, so not sure what we got. The gate is rather awkward to manage on my own since I'm not up to strength yet, and everyone else is out for the evening. They are very pretty, she's an Oberhausli cross, and she was bred to a Saanen buck. The kids are kind of a dusty brown, with Oberhausli markings.

Our Bonnie, who kidded in December, is just about ready to wean her kids, so we'll have more milk from her. Looks like we'll have plenty of milk this summer as well, after these other kids wean off.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sad about the little wild doeling :( I hope she turns up. Good on those kids of yours though. Pics? :D

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jeez....that's too bad about that wild goat. Any chance someone would take her in?

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I suspect the wild doeling is dead. If she were abandoned last evening after we came up to the house, she would not make it 24 hours in this heat. The last one was in trouble and died within about 16 hours of the last time we saw him nursing from the mama.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pics of our new kids.

Pixie is a mixed breed, bred to a Saanen buck. I thought it was interesting how the stripe on their back breaks.

pixieskids.jpg

Cocoa is Oberhausli X Nubian, bred to a Saanen buck. They have Oberhausli coloring, but in a lighter, dustier shade, and halfway floppy ears.

cocoaskids.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I should NOT be opening these threads! :love

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Baby goats are too adorably cute, aren't they? Even the most hardened goat hater may be momentarily persuaded to lose all reason when faced with a gamboling pair of kids! :)

Latest posts