Skin Cancer and Black Salve

LittleBear

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
baymule said:
Little Bear, is it a bloodroot based salve?
not that one.. Here are the ingredients for that particular type of black salve

unionsalve.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/union-salve-ingredients/
The ingredients are (in alphabetical order): carbolic acid (see the article on carbolic acid in this blog), castor oil, lanolin, mineral oil, parolin wax, petroleum, pine tar.
If you want the one with bloodroot...

iherb.com/WiseWays-Herbals-LLC-Black-Blood-Root-Drawing-Salve-2-oz-56-g/25617?rcode=SOG232

If you order from iherb, you can use this code SOG232 to get $5 off your first order of $10 or more of $10 off $40 or more. I think there's free shipping if your total is $40 of more after code.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I suggest going to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/? and entering the search term "black salve." There are several peer-reviewed publications that specialize in alternative medicine (including the obviously-titled "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine") and I found 49 hits on that search term. Not all of them apply directly to the uses you're discussing here, but many do.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never tried the black salve, but baking soda has taken care of several basal cell spots that have popped up on my shoulders, upper back and forehead.

The baking soda stings at first, but it takes care of the cancerous spot pretty fast. I rub the baking soda on a couple times a day.

My doc looked at one spot, confirmed the cancer...when I told her what I had started to do (this was on day 2 of finding it), she said it made sense that the soda would work as it would be an irritant, etc.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do these basal cell spots look like? I'm amazed that your doc didn't want to start whacking on them immediately.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine was about the size of a pencil eraser, but oval shaped and raised. It wasn't dicolored at all. Skin colored and vascular. I had it biopsied to be sure of what it was and then had it burned off. Wish I knew about the salve or the baking soda before...

Lots of pictures on google images.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of mine were circular and looked like a little chunk of skin was gone. Felt like it, too. It was a little sore that never healed. Some of mine were raised like pimples. Anything that was suspect got hit with baking soda. It had to be 'open' for the soda to get to it, so I usually used a really sterile method of using my fingernail to scratch it a bit. Other ones I had DH 'scrub' the baking soda on the spot and that was enough.

I had a cat scratch that I put soda on and it didn't sting, but it does if there are cancer cells involved. Some of my spots got bigger before they started to shrink and then heal.

My doc is pretty good about homeopathic things. She mentioned putting duct tape over warts to get rid of them. :D

My theory is to try the home remedy for a couple weeks. If there aren't any improvements by then, it's time to head to an MD. Not everything is included in that two week window.