slingshots and vermin control

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The recent posts on coyotes got me thinking. We live in a close neighborhood, 75' wide yards, so no shooting of vermin allowed. But what about a slingshot? Could a slingshot kill a groundhog or a coyote? Or at least encourage them to move on to a nicer neighborhood? :D

How would one make their own, and what type of stones are best....smooth and round, or sharp and pointy? Crushed rock that is commercially available? I have piles of the stuff that I removed from around the foundation of the house, piled up out back to use one day for drainage, etc.

Any ideas, experience, pictures? If not, anyone want to give it a try?

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Singshots can be deadly...just ask Goliath...but my experience with slingshots (having 4 boys) is that it is hard to find one that will not fall apart after a few shots..

Good luck with hunting a good slingshot...and then, good luck hunting with the slingshot!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Slingshots can easily kill if you know what you are doing!

But for me the old "you will take an eye out" is etched in my mind....LOL....my mom said this tons of times..HA HA HA

If you don't know what you are doing, you could maim and animal and that is worse.

So, iffy unless you have the real "know how" on this type of weapon.

Nothing worse than maiming something ya know...but I have no true "slingshot" experience for killing...so can't help actually.LOL

Will be interesting to read what others say about it as a true weapon?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with slingshots but how about a bb gun?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can kill small animals with 'wrist rocket' type slingshots, some kids down the street used to do that to rabbits etc when I was growing up :/ However for predators of size, I think you're much more likely to put an eye out, or cause a long-festering wound, or injure the neighbor's kids or pets, than actually teach a predator a meaningful lesson much less kill it.

I was raised in a hunting family (don't hunt myself, but if we had a deer infestation I sure would) and if you asked my dad or uncles, they would not take a good view of trying to probably-nonlethally-but-injuriously plink predators unless you are trying to turn them aside when actually attacking.

They would say that you are exceptionally unlikely to *kill* the animal, but if you do anything at all you're likely to wound it in a way that causes long drawn out suffering, which may actually make it MORE likely to come after your animals (it being harder for an injured predator to catch wild prey) and is not a particularly fair thing to do to the animal. (Quick death yes, tracking an accidentally injured animal down to dispatch it if possible yes, injuring it and then just letting it go its merry way, no.)

If you're going to try it anyhow, and I know everyone has their own philosophy about such things, for Pete's sake at least buy a good commercial slingshot and learn to use it accurately on a target, and if you haven't taken a hunters' firearms course it'd be a real good idea to do so in order to get better acquainted at when not to shoot at things (so's to avoid plugging people or pets).

(e.t.a - if you want to be shooting at animals to encourage them to go elsewhere, what's wrong with a pellet airgun or a paintball gun? Again, with suitable target practice first and knowledge of how to use it safely)

JMO,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Freemotion,

My friends just got back from Africa and they brought a homemade slingshot home with them and said if used properly can be quite deadly to monkeys and smaller animals.

I used a regular slingshot to keep my dog from chasing my horses and chickens. One hit and it was over. Now the noise of it being cocked so to speak keeps her on her toes. I havn't had to use it in 3 months!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are thinking of using a slingshot, you should also consider a paintball gun. Walmart sells both and sells ammo for the paintball gun. Do be warned though that a lot of places frown on using non-lethal force against animals citing animal cruelty.

On a side note: If I had neighbor dog issues, I would probably go the paintball route first along with a note stating that next time the ammo and gun could be lethal.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Instead of a slingshot, I use.....
moab.php

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have never used a sling shot but.... as stated above, it worked on Goliath.

So now I am off on a slingshot hunt. I would love to use it on a few dogs in my neighborhood.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got one of these for varmits. We use regular old marbles. They're hard, round and they FLY! You can also use ball bearings or anything else that is round, smooth & hard.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...241008&cm_ite=0005753221490a&_requestid=81355

Set up some targets & practice first so you don't have to pay for your neighbors window... or your own :hide

Yeah, from what I've read, Goliath had a big ole dent in his head! Of course, that was a sling, not a slingshot. Slightly different animal. Still effective though!