slingshots and vermin control

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't worry, Pat and everyone, I have no intention of maiming an animal and leaving it to die a slow death. If I were to get a slingshot, I would practice for many hours on targets until I was reasonably sure of my effectiveness, whether to discourage and bruise only or to kill. And I would abandon the idea if I were not sure. I could use a .22 or even bigger gun and still maim and not kill, btw.

The groundhog is in my pasture, and there are no neighbors, houses, windows, or any animals around to get hurt, as long as I close the gate and keep my own animals out of the area. Someone would even have to really be straining to see me in order to know what I was up to during the season when the leaves are on the trees. The critters don't come up into the yard near the house at all.

David had some help with Goliath...... ;)

I saw that one at cabelas, noobie!

BBH, what do you mean by a "regular slingshot?" And what did the homemade African one look like? I tend to picture a forked stick with a rubber band!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Why, are you having a problems with monkeys? :lol: :plbb

I will find out about the African slingshot. It was a pool party and nobody went inside, so she just told me about it. The conversation started when she had a big limb cracked and almost ready to fall off a tree. I pointed it out to her and she said "The slingshot I got in Africa would knock that thing down to the ground." She explained how leathal it was to monkeys and smaller mammals etc. Sorry the subject changed and we went on to enjoy the sunshine.

A regular slingshot is (to me) the kind that looks like a Y with that heavy duty rubberband and leather thing to hold the ammo. You know, the kind kids have...it is my 12 year olds :rolleyes:.
(I steal her things all the time!)

Reaction score
You can get a wrist rocket at any sporting goods store. They are for hunting small game. They shoot ball bearings, Imagine the y thing except it is made out of high strength tubing and at the bottom of the y there is a loop shaped tube with a pad that goes under, then over your wrist to allow you to pull the pouch back real far. The band is a length of surgical tubing.

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My FIL said when he was growing up and they were gonna have chicken for suppah his mother always killed them with a slingshot made out of a forked stick and an old tire intertube. :idunno , she said it was to save on ammo. He said she never missed.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Peapickinchicks said:
My FIL said when he was growing up and they were gonna have chicken for suppah his mother always killed them with a slingshot made out of a forked stick and an old tire intertube. :idunno , she said it was to save on ammo. He said she never missed.
Wow! Wish I knew that gal, she must've been something else! :lol:

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion wrote:
Wow! Wish I knew that gal, she must've been something else!
She passed when my DH was 3 so he does not remember her. I sure wish she and his grandpa were still around. From how the family speaks of them they were extroardinary people and very loving parents. They are surely still missed by everyone, it would have been a blessing for me to have met them.