Sloppy Joe Bake - potentially GF

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my take on a Bisquick classic, sans bisquick!

Make up your favorite variety of sloppy joe meat - I use their recipe for this

1-1/2 - 2 lbs ground meat (I used venison)
chopped onion to taste (whole small one, 1/2 a big one)
minced garlic to taste (LOTS!)
Brown these together. Since the venison is so lean, I put in a couple tbsp butter to give the onion something to saute in :p

Once the meat is all brown, add
1 15 oz can tomato sauce (can't wait to grow my own this summer and use homemade)
couple tbsp mustard (I just give a real good squirt over the pan)
couple tbsp ketchup (ditto)
1/3 cup (or more to taste) brown sugar (I used my sugar in the raw, and added abt a tsp of molasses)
1 15 oz can spinach, chopped up (my son wanted spinach casserole, I didn't want to dirty any more dishes; it's a great way to hide spinach, though, if you've got picky eaters. If I'd had any canned pumpkin, I would've added it, too!)

Let simmer until it's desired consistency - I don't like mine very runny

While it's simmering, make up your cornbread batter
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup flour (self-rising or all purpose, or gluten free)
1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp of baking powder if using all purpose
1 egg
1 small (8 oz?) can cream corn
milk, buttermilk, kefir to needed consistency

Mix everything but the milk product in a small bowl. Start adding your liquid (I'd guess I start with approx 1/4 - 1/3 cup) and keep stirring and adding a little bit of liquid until it's thinner than brownie batter, but a little thicker than pancake batter. (Hope that makes sense)

Now put your meat mixture in a greased baking dish - at least a 9x13, a deep one is great. Sprinkle with grated cheese/dot with cheese cubes (optional, but very yummy!), then spoon cornbread topping on, and spread it out evenly. (But don't dump it all in at once - you'll still be able to spread it out, but you'll have a spot in the dish that's cornbread with no meat under it. Gee, how did I find that out ;) )

Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes, or until nicely browned and cornbread is cooked all the way through.

And all your veggies are in one dish!

eta - feel free to add chili powder, cayenne, green peppers etc to the meat mixture - I know some people like a spicy sloppy joe; I prefer mine on the sweeter side.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Mean! Tantalizing like that and no recipe posted!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't eat sloppy joe, just never liked it, but, WOW, that receipe is nothing like my hubby makes. His would scare ya but he loves it! :)