Small Gasifier?

jhad1066

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I would like to make a small scale gasifier for an emergency use, ie no power and need to some how get the heat going or in hurricane season keep the fridge going. All I think I need is a gasifier capable of feeding a lawnmower type engine (4-6hp) that could generate limited use power. As I scavenge parts I'll try to remember to take pictures and post here.

Jim

anthonyc12

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
it appears to me, that if the crap hits the fan, maybe fuel is hard to get
i certainly see that here in tacoma, everytime there is a windstorm
the power goes out, and you cannot get gas/diesel or even propane pumped
however you can get bbq bottles that are already filled to swap, but

in an earlier post, i referred to a publication that referenced a russian gasifier, and they
also refer to a 5gallan pail size unit they built to take to the conference to demonstrate
it running a 10hp onan genset.

so the GEK is not what it was hoped to be?,,
why not a simple unit that could be pressed into emergency service?

something that could be built for a couple hundred bucks or so, over a few weekends
and perhaps it won't last 1000's of hours, but maybe it last a couple hundred and is worthwhile
as a back up fuel source?

seems like if such a design could be made to work, improvements in materials on later generations
could be used to increase the lifespan.

if nothing else, haveing some cooking gas might be useful if things got really bad? as for fuel
there are tons of wood scrap going to the landfill everyday, pallets, old wood furniture, scrap from
furniture shops, cabinet shops, etc.
maybe suitable clean scrap could be fed to a chipper to get it reduced in size to feed a small gasifier
reliably?

i got a half dozen or so, small changfa's both water and air cooled, the little aircooled are good for 3.5hp
and could drive an alternator to feed a car battery and an inverter if need be to cover some power needs
when things get dark and cold.

seems like one could be run on woodgas in dual fuel mode to extend the runtime of what available liquid fuels
one might have on hand.

we got 141 members now, any thought of trying this? or working on doing this? done it?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
anthonyc12 said:
it appears to me, that if the crap hits the fan, maybe fuel is hard to get
i certainly see that here in tacoma, everytime there is a windstorm
the power goes out, and you cannot get gas/diesel or even propane pumped
however you can get bbq bottles that are already filled to swap, but

in an earlier post, i referred to a publication that referenced a russian gasifier, and they
also refer to a 5gallan pail size unit they built to take to the conference to demonstrate
it running a 10hp onan genset.

so the GEK is not what it was hoped to be?,,
why not a simple unit that could be pressed into emergency service?

something that could be built for a couple hundred bucks or so, over a few weekends
and perhaps it won't last 1000's of hours, but maybe it last a couple hundred and is worthwhile
as a back up fuel source?

seems like if such a design could be made to work, improvements in materials on later generations
could be used to increase the lifespan.

if nothing else, haveing some cooking gas might be useful if things got really bad? as for fuel
there are tons of wood scrap going to the landfill everyday, pallets, old wood furniture, scrap from
furniture shops, cabinet shops, etc.
maybe suitable clean scrap could be fed to a chipper to get it reduced in size to feed a small gasifier
reliably?

i got a half dozen or so, small changfa's both water and air cooled, the little aircooled are good for 3.5hp
and could drive an alternator to feed a car battery and an inverter if need be to cover some power needs
when things get dark and cold.

seems like one could be run on woodgas in dual fuel mode to extend the runtime of what available liquid fuels
one might have on hand.

we got 141 members now, any thought of trying this? or working on doing this? done it?
You must have some funny safety rules on propane if you can't get it pumped without power. It is a gas at normal temperature and PRESSURE. It is stored as a liguid with a gas layer on the top in pressure vessels [yep even those cans used for lighting or toarches are pressure vessels] and when it is delivered to the tank in my yard no line power is used. there is a pump on the truck but sometimes that isn't used The delivery guy opens the safety valve on my tank. the gas pressure from the truck forces the liguid through the meter on the truck and into my tank. So simple that they sell kits to refill hand toarches from 20 pound bbq tanks. Actually the tanks are worth more than what is in them. ~gd