small gloat - secondhand tools from auction

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nobody I know in real life understands why I am so chuffed about this, so please permit me a small gloat about some purchases at this past weekend's local tool-machinery-farm-implement auction (just around the corner from our house, to boot):

1970's new-in-box hand drill, works perfectly: $1

contour gauge and 2 mill files: $2

old wood ladder for chickens to perch on: $1

instrument cluster out of 1979 Jeep Grand Cherokee (for 4 yr old to
play with when he's pretending to build cars): $3

gazillions of screwdrivers incl. 2 nice pump-style hand-powered ones, and a very good drawknife: $3

some old rubber matting, incl a piece of real stall matting I can use to feed hay on in the horses' shed plus some conveyor-belt-style stuff that is too slippery to use plain but will be great for covering 'weird bits' of stall floors unless the chickens hijack it instead: $10

etc

Actually I ended up spending about $200 all told, on account of a bunch of 1x1" and 2x4" mesh fencing and a whole lot of T-posts, but I still feel like I made out very VERY well. THe hand drill especially -- I have been searching for a good one for some years now, but keep dropping out of the bidding around $15+ without getting it. One buck. Man :)

Pat, feeling all happy and glowy and cheap :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I say congratulations!! awesome deal on the tools!!

My husband was pleased with himself over finding USA made hand tools at a yard sale for $1 back in July, so I totally understand how pleased you must be!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh I soooo want an old wooden ladder! It wouldn't be going to the chicken house, it would be for me to hang quilts on! LOL

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get it ;) Last year right after I moved back to the country my aunt and uncle moved from their farm to a smaller house. I scored 3 rakes for $2 and assorted other stuff. A neighbor over the hill just passed away, my dad farms his fields, they are having an auction next week and I plan to try to pick up a few things.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great deal Pat
you did good! shame such good things go so cheap...but we win don't we!!! :)

I have about 5 of those big wooden ladders at the barn. They were used for getting to the hay loft. They weigh a ton! No chickens roosting on those..LOL..we still use them to get hay out of the loft!

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Great finds...you deserve to bask in the gloat mode...it's one of life's greatest pleasures to get something useful for next-to-nothing! :ya

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
congrats! nothing like a good day at the auction to put a smile on your face. :ya

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Excellent! I still get a thrill when I see the good auction finds I got 5 years ago at our neighbor's household auction!