Small New Zealand Town SS?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had HGTV on this morning while I was freezing corn and they happened to profile a family moving from Australia to New Zealand. I can't remember the name of the town but everyone there was responsible for provding their own water system (ie either a rain bin or well of sorts) and their own electricity (most had either panels or wind turbines).

Does anyone know if this is true of all of New Zealand? Or was it maybe just this town? Just thought it was interesting.

S

sunsaver

We need some laws like that here in this country. The elecdtric grid is very vulnerable to a cyber attack or solar storm.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know, but it sounds awesome.
What would be cool is if everyone had to deal with their own trash, too. There would be some major recyling, reusing, etc in a heart beat.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in New Zealand, and has lived in Aukland, Palmerston North, Christchurch (many years before the earthquake) and briefly in Rotarua. The situation you are describing is not any more common in New Zealand than in North America. It's likely that the village in question is a hippie-type settlement or something similar to villages in the UK and Denmark that have similar goals for community self-sufficiency.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moolie said:
A friend of mine lives in New Zealand, and has lived in Aukland, Palmerston North, Christchurch (many years before the earthquake) and briefly in Rotarua. The situation you are describing is not any more common in New Zealand than in North America. It's likely that the village in question is a hippie-type settlement or something similar to villages in the UK and Denmark that have similar goals for community self-sufficiency.
I have read about that village, and yes, it is a fringe community.
THe laws prevent so much of what they are doing in most westernized parts of the world.
Take Scotland for instance.
It is illegal to process any animal you raise for personal use.
And if you have an animal die of natural causes, you are also required by law to call the local "animal coroner" to pick it up and run test and take care of disposal.
I know Australia has outlawed gun ownership, not sure about NZ.