Small Scale Farming

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know, Salatin covers a lot of info about those kind of issues in his books. His vet bill for all his animals is around $100 a year. He actively culls and breeds for certain genetic traits such as hardiness, easy calving, parasite resistance, etc. He saves money by not buying chemical dewormers and expensive meds by developing strong genetic traits for animals that don't require these things as much.

If a cow is having trouble birthing and they would have to do a C-section to remove the calf, he just transports her to the butcher for hamburger. He explains that he would cull her anyway, for having birthing issues, so why go through the expense of all that vetting when you could salvage at least the meat?

He also explains how to establish ponds and small holding tank/ponds for water supplies and he uses a $100 bilge pump to pump water out of those ponds into watering tanks. No electricity needed.

There's simple ways around nearly every problem if one is committed to making long-term investments of time and work in a SS farming operation.

I like how he does his winter feeding.....its all so simple, yet so much better than what I've seen all my life, that it makes me wonder why more farmers aren't using his techniques.

He really has good, cheaper solutions for doing the things he does whereas most of those books describe very costly setups that no one could afford.