Small Scale Farming

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Pat...I think what I am really leaning towards would be buying a place that is already established pasture/ranch land and creating a commune for our entire family to live there...everyone pitching in on the work, the expense and reaping the benefit of a healthier lifestyle. Oh wait I must be dreaming because that would never happen!

If we did buy any land it woudl be more along the lines of buy some land anyhow, and were taking the attitude of 'let's try this, at a low investment level, and see if we can get it to take off", that'd make sense.

Really just exploring options and trying to learn a little.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, dace I should have never sent you that link you sound just like me now. :clap My husbands grandma did that very thing about 25 years ago. She bought 40 acres in San Louis Obispo. Only two out of 7 kids decided to live there. Not without the usual family controversy and such. Now that grandma is gone they are fighting over the place.

I have discussed the feeding out cattle with my Aunt in Mo. When she lived at the farm up north she had cows, goats, bison etc and did all the dressing herself.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

1. certified organic fee is way expensive. And in Ca you would need to go all the way to No. Ca to get anything of reasonable cost. Even then Ca sprays for the Bull Weevil I believe its called, so there are still chemicals present.

2 option 2 growing for your family. I am sure someone here could give us an exact # but there is a recommended # of acres per head for grass fed beef. So how many head do you want? Enough to sell? Enough for the freezer, if you want to self sustain this will definitely determine the amount of land you need. (bee would know this)

I have an acre of hillside that I thought about using to feed out a beef of some kind. But with the cost of fence and feed I just could not do it.

Oh, there is a man right now on craigslist in our area trying to sell grass fed mini's. Not sure if he's having any luck.

Ps I have my eye on 100 acre organic Amish farm in Mo. the only problem is the house. NO plumbing or electric. I guess you can't have everything. :idunno g

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We are just two peas in a pod aren't we?

The Amish farm sounds wonderful...electricity is overrated if you ask me (me, who has never lived without it!)

I did do a little reading on line this morning at our sister site backyard herds, it was early and my coffee had not kicked in but I think it was in the neighborhood of 1 head per 3 acres if you really want grass fed. I was surprised!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You really need to read everything Joel Salatin has written, and visit his farm if you get serious. Farmers usually do this type of thing for love of the land, animals, and work, and not for the money.......But most of us here know that our animals can help defray their own expenses at times, and we are just messing around with selling a few extras now and then.

I like the "circular" way Polyface Farm works, everything helps everything else be more productive and efficient. It is so fascinating. I have Salad Bar Beef waiting for me at the local library, hope to pick it up tomorrow. Even though I can't have a cow here, I hope to learn how to improve my pasture by BEING the cow with my scythe!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace said:
As usual...great feedback. I love that I can always come to you all with questions and get such a wealth of diverse information :love

I am really just thinking out loud here with my original question. We saw Food inc last night and it really makes you think there just has to be a better way. Even if only for our own personal consumption.

Bee....when Joel was on the screen all I could think about was you :)
He looks like such a nerd! :p A farm nerd..... :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Dace said:
As usual...great feedback. I love that I can always come to you all with questions and get such a wealth of diverse information :love

I am really just thinking out loud here with my original question. We saw Food inc last night and it really makes you think there just has to be a better way. Even if only for our own personal consumption.

Bee....when Joel was on the screen all I could think about was you :)
He looks like such a nerd! :p A farm nerd..... :lol:
I thought he was charming :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You really need to read everything Joel Salatin has written, and visit his farm if you get serious. Farmers usually do this type of thing for love of the land, animals, and work, and not for the money.......But most of us here know that our animals can help defray their own expenses at times, and we are just messing around with selling a few extras now and then.

I like the "circular" way Polyface Farm works, everything helps everything else be more productive and efficient. It is so fascinating. I have Salad Bar Beef waiting for me at the local library, hope to pick it up tomorrow. Even though I can't have a cow here, I hope to learn how to improve my pasture by BEING the cow with my scythe!
Yes of course it is not something your do for money, but if owning a few extra animals will offset (maybe pay for) your own to put in the freezer then I consider that a good deal. It is something that will most likely never happen, but I like to think in the direction I would like to go....I find that helps me to be better prepared to make decisions when interesting and unexpected opportunities come my way :)

I would like to find one of Joel's books....I think having a better understanding of good farming practices makes you a better consumer anyway!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are a few nice clips on youtube with Joel pontificating. One is called "sissy farmer" I think...because he cares about whether the animals are happy before they are eaten! :love

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
25 acres in San Luis Obispo? I am SOOOOOO jealous.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been looking and reading this post since it was written. It can be done, but it is a heck of a lot of work and everyone has to be on board. Animals are a lot of work, you have to know how to read the signs before they get sick and learn what to do to prevent them from getting really sick or dies-which is tramatic if you don't catch it in time and work and work and work to save the animal and then it still dies. If you are to make a living at it, you live, breath, sleep, drink animals. Every little thing that is off may be a sign to look at. If everything is ok, you can have a little side life--but if you are milking, you never plan anything around evening milk time-someone has to be there to milk on time, it won't work to milk at one time one night, 2 hrs later the next night etc. Yes if something else (emergency) comes up, it can be changed one night, but not as a rule. Same with any other animal, they come first--get up in morning, use the bathroom, brush teeth, pull on clothes and make sure everyone is ok. Crops--same thing, not as touchy, but a lot of work, weather is a big factor for crops. Be prepared for non stop day to day work. Very rewarding and satisfying, and if everyone is willing to put the work in and learn as much as they can, it will work but only if they are willing. If things go down, you lose electricity and well isn't pumping, can you hand pump water for animals lots and lots of work. I have melted snow over burn barrels for my animals--I was a city girl, I still can't kill and butcher animals, but my son and DIL will, so I am ok there. You will work like you never worked before in your life, eveything has to become second nature to you. You can do it, jsut be prepared :)