Small-Scale grain storage (as in, up to several tons)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Link wouldn't work for me!
Several tons of grain kinda sounds like a lot.....
Huh.... tried it again and it seems OK.

Yes, tons seems like a lot. My family uses about 5 lb flour/week, which comes to 250 lb/yr. 1 ton would be an 8-year supply. I saw a 200-lb load of wheat berries stored in 5-gal containers. A ton of grain would be around 60 5-gal containers!

A ton of grain isn't much in the context of storing several years worth of food for a village. Some parts of the world have frequent and severe droughts, so these amounts of stores aren't thought of as weird.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The link worked just fine now.

Pretty interesting stuff! You're right, a few tons wouldn't go too far in an area plagued with drought, etc.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
The link worked just fine now.

Pretty interesting stuff! You're right, a few tons wouldn't go too far in an area plagued with drought, etc.
I copied the entire article. I did this a while ago. Basically, I bought some metal trash cans. They are clean and keep things dry. Wheat will store indefinitely if kept dry and cool. A 30 gallon trash can holds about 3 bushel which is about 150 lbs (give or take). Of course if you decide to grow some of that you get a lot more back and it will be fresh, too!

This article recommends a number of outdoor techniques, but as I said, dry and cool is the critical element from what I have read.

As one of you said, 5 lb of wheat/week will only mean 250 lb/year and that translates to a ton is 8 years worth. Not bad if you ask me. You may get tired of sprouts, and bread/products, but you certainly won't starve if a problem arises.

Of significant importance is that honey will also store indefinitely given the same criteria of storage. Some folks worry about crystallization and that is no problem. Warm it up and it goes right back to liquid state.

Seems that is one of the nice things about living in the midwest where I live. We may get tired of hamburger on bread, but we won't starve!
Trim sends
//bt//

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like a good article I will need to copy it as well.

I have some grain for my animals stored in 55 gallon metal drums. If I dump it in the drum holds over 6 50lb bags.

:)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Looks like a good article I will need to copy it as well.

I have some grain for my animals stored in 55 gallon metal drums. If I dump it in the drum holds over 6 50lb bags.

:)
I just got 2 55-gal drums. They had white petroleum jelly in them, so I'll have to get in there with a rubber spatula or something.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got my wheat 5 years ago when I moved here and it is just fine. Like I said, keep it cool and dry. You don't have to spend huge amounts of money to store it, but the more you store, the more secure you feel! (at least I do) I don't appear to have much of a problem with critters in it either. They all seem to have died after the first year.

:celebrate

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep.....stored properly wheat, corn and beans are better than money in the bank, much safer to..!!!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Found field corn for 0.11 $/#. I'm driving out to get 100 # tomorrow!

I'd like to check the moisture content before storing it, if possible. Has anyone done this before?