Smart Kenyan boy sets an example for us!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could be other people know about this kid from Kenya. I didn't until his story was given some brief attention this morning on our national radio/TV network, CBC. He's 13 now, and he developed a little innovation useful to his family and to his community (and his people).

As a nine year-old, he was expected to take a night-time turn guarding his family's cattle from predatory African lions! He was scared ....less by this recurring chore. He liked fooling around with electric and electronic devices, and he determined that lions were frightened off by moving lights. In time, his experimenting proved functional and valuable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE9UI_BXcS0

LEDs, switches, wires, a solar panel, and storage batteries (plus wooden poles, etc).

Now some people will say something like "Oh, yes... but he's using technological components developed in Europe or North America." That would be true. But: He was nine years old when he started with this. He had extremely little education. He had a practical problem to solve, and did so. I, for one, don't know many nine-year-olds (or twelve-year-olds, for that matter) who have contributed a practical apparatus as useful to the people around him as this.

What do you think?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd say being potential lion bait is pretty good motivation. Why the others never thought of it......who knows?! I don't know many 9 year olds, or twelve year olds, who are asked to do such chores. My kid didn't even wash dishes at 9, much less guard cows against the king of the jungle! All kids are smart. I think to a large degree, this kid is no smarter than average, just has more responsibility and motivation. He does have one thing most his age don't, and that's ambition. Good boy! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very cool for a young kid to fix a problem when needed. especially to help against LIONS! :)

there are alot of young amazing kids in this world. kids at young ages do come up with some million dollar business ideas and start charity foundations, etc. there are alot of inspiring stories and new inventions from young'ins. good for them!! Wanna said it. Amibition. At a young age that is refreshing to see!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'd say being potential lion bait is pretty good motivation. Why the others never thought of it......who knows?! I don't know many 9 year olds, or twelve year olds, who are asked to do such chores. My kid didn't even wash dishes at 9, much less guard cows against the king of the jungle! All kids are smart. I think to a large degree, this kid is no smarter than average, just has more responsibility and motivation. He does have one thing most his age don't, and that's ambition. Good boy! :)
Well said. Your thoughts are nearly identical to what I thought when I learned his story.

savalot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think it is wonderful for him at such a young age to help his family and others to be safer and to have the courage to make a change in the way things are done. Imagine if the elders didn't believe in that boy simply because he was just that, a boy. I am sure he has just begun. :clap