Smelly goat help

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anything I can do to make my girls a little less fragrant? They were in with the buck up until I picked them up and whew! they stink. I don't want to bathe them since it's chilly. Something like a baking soda rubdown?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i love you.

hee hee hee

them bucks got a stank on 'em dont they? see why we TAKE our ladies to the breeders? ha ha ha ha ha

last year i had to bleach my clothes after i milked debbie when she was over with the neighbor's buck.

sheesh!

um.. i think Free said to use some of the pet-de-stinkifiers on a brush and comb them out. i cant find the post for it...

but give her a shout out.

;-)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
btw, you'll probably have to just burn your car.

kidding! just kidding..
;-)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:gig

That car has carried kids (human kids) around for 10 years. It has been pooped in, peed in, projectile vomited on, and I think a mouse took up residence and died in it last winter :sick So we're good :lol:

I think I have a bottle of dog de-stinkifier that I never used. My dog doesn't stink and has never had a bath so I never used it.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I think you might just have to stick with the stink! It'll wear off eventually. Be sure to wash your hands with goat milk soap! That takes care of it. I don't think the gals would appreciate a bath either.

So, are you ready for Jan/Feb babies??

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like we'll have Valentine babies. Maybe this year we won't have a Valentine blizzard :fl
I'm not too worried about it - they are so close to the house that I can see them at all times. We can deal with the cold however we need to. (Point me to this discussion in February when I'm freaking out :p)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am expecting Valentine babies too!!!!! My first registered babies if I ever get the doe's papers! grrrr

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:woot Valentine babies! I wasn't sure about the registering stuff, but the breeder gave us papers, so I guess it's a go. One set will qualify as experimental - second generation, and the other will be American - 3rd generation. They are mini-manchas.
I hope you get your papers Rebecca. I didn't really care for mine, but it helps kids sell better I guess.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the stink wears off

I hate the "in your face" buck stink also
but it never bothered me on the does actually

My goats are always out in huge pastures when they ran with the buck and he had tons of does to pester....so they "did" their biz and never seemed to get too stinky actually

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I never had to remove stink, since my does were "hand-bred" in that I watched closely for their heat and ran 'em into the buck pen, held them while he had his way (ok, their way, too, the little hussies) and then put them back into their own stalls. Another visit a few hours later if possible. I did put Willow in with him all winter, but for some reason, she didn't stink. She is a tough little bulldozer and I don't think she ever allowed him near her. She did not get pregnant after several months with him. She was rather copper deficient, though...it was a rough year and I shamefully missed some things here. It was always dark when I went out to care for her and there is no light in the buck pen.

But I think I did make the suggestion somewhere that I would try that enzyme formula that removes urine from your house. There are many on the market, so I would choose one that is not scented. Some are highly scented with artificial stuff that would probably irritate the skin and might even taint the milk as much as the buck cologne would.

I would put it on a terry cloth rag and rub it well into the hair, retreating morning and evening until the stink is gone. I use it on my dogs if they manage to rub their faces in something nasty and I can't bathe them....like it is midnight and they go out for a tinkle and come in smelling rank, usually on one cheek or ear or near the collar. Scrub...sniff.....scrub...sniff.....scrub....sniff....until the stink is gone.

Latest posts