Smokers

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone built a smoker? Do you like it?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ninny, I was going to just dig a pit smoker, two feet down, as big as you like it, put a grill on top kind of thing. I figured out that you can (I think) use a webber grill to smoke small amounts, so I nixed my pit idea. (Ohmigosh, we have too many rocks/boulders to dig a pit.)

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have done a little research on turning an old refrigerator into a smoker. (has to be the older, metal insides kind) We raise wiener pigs most years, and would like to start processing them ourselves, as having them processed erases a lot of the benefit of raising them yourselves. We process our own game and chevon, so why not? A refrigerator smoker would hold a lot, and looks to me like it would do a good job. I haven't gotten out of the research stage yet though.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mydakota said:
I have done a little research on turning an old refrigerator into a smoker. (has to be the older, metal insides kind) We raise wiener pigs most years, and would like to start processing them ourselves, as having them processed erases a lot of the benefit of raising them yourselves. We process our own game and chevon, so why not? A refrigerator smoker would hold a lot, and looks to me like it would do a good job. I haven't gotten out of the research stage yet though.
That would be very interesting! Let us know if you do it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Skr8pn has lots of experience with smokers and I know Modern Pioneer has built a pretty nice one. But I have not seen him around in a while.

:idunno

g

RobinL

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My husband built a smoker. It is made of all wood with fireproof insulation all around. Of course he has the holes where needed air circulation. He used racks made of heavy wire. Some are made of heavy chicken wire. He hooked it up as 220 instead of 110 and then bought a stove heating element for the Heat. He bought a fancy digital timer so he doesn't have to baby sit it and uses a coffee can for the wood so that it smokes plenty without using much wood. Works absolutely great!! Delicious things come out of that smoker. :) We're hoping to make our own smoked hams this year.:thumbsup

Latest posts