SNAKE!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So... I was in the kitchen...canning spaghetti sauce this morning, Hubby was out at the edge of the woods, clearing brush....I hear him come inside, and he yells... " Look what I found" PLEASE tell me this is not a poisonous snake!!! He let it go, back to the woods.
99_snake.jpg

Here is a shot of its head....if you lok at the markings on its head...it almost looks like a chicken! :/
99_snakehead.jpg

I was thinking Copper Head...PLEASE tell me I am wrong!!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like a baby corn snake, possibly baby milk snake. Definitly not poisonous. Its a bebeficial mouser, one you want around.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I looked at a site listing Indiana snakes...the corn snake is not listed...and I could not find a snake looking like this one. Very pretty coloring...so we set it free.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It is absolutely, for totally darn sure, I guarantee it, NOT a poisonous snake.

It's been too long since I hung out with herpetologists and lived in areas that had reasonable snake diversity for me to commit to milk snake vs corn snake but I am pretty confident it is one of those two. Just b/c corn snakes are not listed as naturally occurring in your area doesn't mean it couldn't be one, as they are popular pets.

You're right, those markings look a lot like a chicken face - too funny! :)

Pat

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Pat's right, it's not poisonous. A copperhead has a triangular shaped head. It's the color of a copper penny, with darker markings. They also have more of a blunt tail.

Your snake just looks like something to play with for a while :) and to scare my DH with. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I think milk snake. I had one as a pet when I was a kid.

I admire your DH for releasing it back into the woods. Drives me crazy when people kill all snakes that they come across.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Definitely not a poisonous snake either a baby milk or corn snake, certain types of both kinds look alot alike. It is not an import either they live in the USA and eat rats mice and other rodents. dont kill them, it drives me insane when people kill beneficial snakes due to their irrational fears. i mean i understand being afraid of snkes but people need to get educated and use some common sense. (RANT sorry)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am thinking...probably a milk snake. Cute really....but I dont like snakes too well. We would NEVER kill one. Now, the 7 ft black snake, I saw a few months ago...( Might have been a black racer) ALMOST was killed...only because he went through the turkey pen...scared the beejeebers outta me!!!