So excited for tomorrow!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:lol: We are going to a swap meet!! We are meeting Harley's Girl in the morning and going on over to Kidron (I think?) for the swap!!

I have tucked back a small amount of spending money. Not alot. I am hoping I can find maybe a pair or a trio of cochins. :) Preferrably blue cochins....LOL

I will also be bringing home two pairs of Mille Fleurs that I purchased from Harley! WOOT!!

I am such a nut! I am so obsessed with my poultry it isn't funny!!

My husband pointedly asked me if I am done spending money on poultry (new poultry) after tomorrow :p He says he wants to see some return on my investments sometime :lol: Funny thing is, when I wanted to take some to the auction, he wouldn't let me :gig

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! My husband keeps asking me if I'm going to get rid of any of my chickens. But he's the one who brought me fertile eggs to hatch so of course I had to keep a couple. And he likes to sell my eggs for me. And he helps me build my coops, wires them and rigs up pulleys for chicken doors. And of course give my chickens treats. Hmm.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Oooooh! I'm excited for you. You'll have to post afterwards and tell us all about it. :pop

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I absolutely will!!

I keep telling myself I will be a good girl and I am just going to look!

We will see how long that lasts once we are there :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I always tell my DH that I am just going to look. He says "When is the last time you just looked?" lol
Well, for the record, I didn't get anything at the last Amish animal sale. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee

have a blast
you sure sound like you will have a great time!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, we are back!! We had a blast!!

I want to remind everyone that I said I was only going to look...and remember, hubby went with me :lol:

On the way into the swap, Harley's girl was stating that there were a few rules to follow, er, one rule, and that was we all needed to practice self control and not go hog wild buying the first chickens we saw. ;)

I kid you not, we got to the very first vendor, my husband's gaze fell upon a breeding pair of OEG Silver Duckwing Bantams and he exclaims, "That hen looks just like my Henny Penny at home." I explained they were the same breed and he immediately exclaimed, "Those are mine! I am getting those!"

He didn't even ask how much first! :rolleyes: So right off, HUBBY spent $10 on a pair of chickens :gig He was so excited he was nearly falling over himself. He is pretty tickled, as he is now the proud owner of a trio of Silver Duckwing Bantams. He has been wanting a roo for his girl for awhile now, the second hen was just icing :gig

He just became enabler number ONE! :gig

Harley's Girl was just cracking up, and saying, "This is not practicing self control, Aly!"

Right next to the OEG's were two Mille Hens, one year olds. I didn't even have to ask, although I did, he got those, too, said they are my sweetest day gift from him :love

We did find blue cochins, and I was oh so tempted! But since I knew I was getting the Milles, plus 4 other Milles from Harley's Girl, I was good and didn't buy them. I almost caved when I saw a pair of Columbian Wyandotte bantams, but I walked away from those, too. We saw ALOT of puppies for sale, lots of Amish selling them, too. One Amish man said, "Would you like a cheap puppy?" I said only if it is FREE and he cracked up. I told him my best dogs have been the free ones.

Then on the way out, we stopped by Harley's friend who was set up there and we bought a female mallard for $3 from him. We got her to match up to a male that we have. :)

It was such a fun day! It wasn't even too bad having all the kids with us! For the most part they behaved pretty well. They loved getting to see all the different poultry. My daughter fell inlove with a pair of buff dewlap geese, I said absolutely not! And she begged for a rabbit the whole day, but we aren't set up for one so we had to tell her no to that.

We went back to Harley's and she fixed us lunch and we visited for about an hour. She showed my husband her flock and they chatted about deer hunting while I nursed the baby.

The best part of the day, well the best part after we got home, was a few minutes ago my husband went out to tuck his chickens in for the night :) I know we have had the discussions here about people going gaga over their birds, but I must confess, I thought it was so sweet that he wanted those chickens!

Oh, he named the Roo Pepper and the new hen Butter (short for Mrs. Buttersworth). And he has informed me that they get the woodbox we remodled :gig I so don't care! I had a wonderful day!!!

:weee

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Awesome! My DH would never go near a poultry show...I wish he would. He brags to everyone that I have the nicest birds he's ever seen...but he hasn't seen any others :idunno

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Glad you had such a great day! Congrats on your... er... your husband's... er...new chickens. :woot