So Excited!! Just finished my first big batch of LARD!!

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Last couple of days have been very productive around the J Squared Ranch! Made my first big batch of lard! Fried bacon bits, enough to last, I'm sure, through the winter!! Lest I forget, "his" favorite, cracklins!! I know, not so healthy, but I would rather he eat those in moderation rather than the nasty store bought chips!! (will be making some of my own this year, last year I did sweet potato chips) Need to get my roos in the freezer, but the weather won't cut me any slack!!! YIKES!
Picked up two more hundred # tubs of fat yesterday...I need to find some lye so I can do some soap! If there are any Hoosiers out there that can help me find some close, I live in the far west central part of Indiana! Would like to find some around here rather than ordering off line, but will do what I have to!!
Also, a question...can I remelt the lard and make the soap? I am guessing that is okay, since the purpose of lard is to melt...I know, I am a total nut job sometimes!! Just wanted to let everyone know of my accomplishment!! Sooooo excited!!!:cool:

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow! I wish I could find fat in that amount:) I love soap making, it's a hobby. We also cook up bacon then freeze it as we can get a huge box of second cuts of bacon but they come in bricks basically so it's hard to store them and use them like that. |I would use the lrd but also add other oils, fats such as sunflower, olive,coconut butter,grapeseed,pumpkin, veg shortning basically mix what you have,I use the crock pot method as that requires less work and also the bars are safe to use sooner.

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh, please, oh please...Let me in on the crock pot method!!! I love, love, love anything I can do in my crockpot! So much cooler and easier to use!! I think that sounds right up my alley!!!
Thanks alot!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've made all animal fat soaps with lard and tallow and they come out great. That would make for a very boring soapmaking book, so they make you believe that you need a gazillion ingredients. My grandmother made it in a cauldron over a fire outside at slaughtering time.

Yes, you can melt the lard! But safe any lard made from the leaf fat for your best pastry making.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I rendered 10 lbs of leaf fat a few months ago and got 4 qts of lard. I probably would have had at least another qt if I'd been more patient, but the house was getting so hot! :lol:

Lard makes the BEST roasted potatoes! I haven't tried it in pastry yet, but I'm dying to make a pot pie soon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, you MUST make pie crust with it!!!! It is the flakiest you can imagine!

I canned my last batch in 1/2 pint jelly jars, the perfect size. I keep two in the fridge at all times, one to be cold for pie crust, and one that is being used for frying.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
theegghunter, I highly recommend checking with the Amish. They are also a really friendly source of information on all kinds of things.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I grew up in the south, we always had a can of bacon grease on the stove for cooking/flavoring. But I've never heard of leaf fat! What in the world is that? :D