So how are you, really?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just wanted to hear how everyone is faring right now. We've been following everyone's job losses, income reductions, etc and was wondering what everyone's update is.

I must say, for the first time, I'm feeling uneasy. We are essentially a 1-income family and dh's current contract is scheduled to end in September. Normally, we would rest easy knowing another job would present itself, but I'm starting to sense a bit of desperation as I go out and about. I'm starting to realize any job he goes after will have many people in line desperate enough to take a salary cut.

But how are You? I mean, really?

Inchworm

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm not really worried, but like you, I am uneasy. We're a one income family as well...and although Dh keeps on showing me his 'bright and optomisitc" side, he is also taking on "jobs" that he would have never considered before.
Who knows where this whole thing is heading, no one does. Is it possible to really be prepared? I don't know...and if you are, are people going to kill you because of it, or worse yet, are you going to feel guilty that you still have and others don't? Do you all honestly think you will let others starve if your pantry is full? I don't think so:>) You all have too big of hearts for that.
I want to kearn to live off the land, and teach my neighbors how to do it alongside me if the need arises. Two hands are better than one. There is alot to think about in these times...

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm busy with work because things at work have become very stressful and very hectic in the past month due a major "restructuring" that led to a lot of job eliminations that fortunately my husband and I both managed to avoid. This is why no one really hears from me on here anymore, no time, and too afraid to be caught doing anything but working my rear end off. ;) We work at a company that's always prided itself on never laying off or eliminating positions in it's 30 years in business, without being able to reassign those people to new positions. Not this time! A lot of very long time employees (10-15 years) had to pack up their desks. While both my husband and I were able to keep working there, we have been reassigned new positions so we're both pretty exhausted all the time with all the training. My husband was due for a raise in January but all raises are on hold for the present time. All in all though, I can't really complain. We both have jobs and we can pay the bills and keep saving for the time when we may not be so lucky. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this site and everyone in it too well. I wish everyone good luck and I'll check in when I can! I need to go take care of the chickens now!

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not worried as such, I may get to that point but right now I'm being careful.

I'm about to quit my job. Thought it would be a great opportunity but turned out that once I made 6 sales they took me off hourly to commission - and I haven't sold since they did which is now straining our finances to keep the car going so really it's not worth it. But I'm out looking for something else, Home Depot's hiring so I applied there, they offered me a job two years ago, but I liked what I was doing at the time, so here's hoping they still want me. :)
Hubby's job on the other hand...the contract is up in April and we'll have see what happens there. I know the guys he works with are not happy with the rumors that are going around and yelling strike (yes they are morons!) but we'll see. It happens every two years and same thing happens every time talks start, rumors fly, so we just have to sit back and wait to see what comes to the table. We've been planning for a strike/closure for a number of years now and if it happens then we are set to run a business and hire some of the other guys as subs or go work for another company. But no matter what we will make it through, we've been through worse.

If worse came to worse, we'd move over to our friends' 80 acre place and try to live off the land and teach them how to (they are not country people let alone farmers of any kind, the farm is for looks). But no matter what as along as I have my family, things will be fine. And hey, I've been wanting to push the "prohibiting me from feeding my family" with the township when it comes to their poultry by-law... :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm fine, nothing has changed too much for me except the price of food. My company is highly unstable but my job field is pretty assured. Little choices for jobs in the area, but the healthcare field is one of the few places that will be in great need for some time. Especially in the hospice field, as its much cheaper(in Medicare terms) to pay for end of life care in the home than it is in a facility. Plus, no measures are taken to prolong the life, so this is a cheaper option as well. I think the idea of hospice will become more popular for all concerned.

The cost of feed for animals is raising but I've plans in the works for trying to ease this burden by trying some alternatives to buying grain-based mixes.

The kids have little future in today's job market and none whatsoever in my area, as jobs are scarce here anyway, so that outlook is somewhat grim.

I'm not looking much further down the road about what could happen as far as my housing...it all depends on the stability of my landlord, I guess. That could become scary but I'm just trusting God will take care of us and you can't have anyone better in charge for that job, so I'm letting the worry go. I'm setting all that free and just thinking about my garden plans, my livestock projects, my immediate household contentment.

That makes it all much more simple! :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
So far my wife's job is still there (she works for the local hospital) plus she managed to pick up a part time job doing the same thing,but she does it online from our home. My auto repair business is slowed somewhat but is still steady. My shop is here at the house so I have very little real overhead, thank god! The mortgage is paid off,but we still are using the HELOC, but the credit cards are paid off!! Our pantry is pretty well stocked and we are adding more to it every week, and the ammunition/firearm supply is at what I consider a comfortable level, but I am still adding to it every week as well. ;)

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My wife and I are both in the residential home building industry and we are feeling it. We have almost seen a 50-percent drop in our income over the past two years and we bought a house within the past years. I don't know how we make it each month but we live the simple life. I can't wait for things to turn around since we finally realize how little we can live off of. This recession has been a blessing because we finally realize what is important in our lives. Through God we will make it and it has also taught us to appricate the simple things in life like love.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We're doing okay so far. I work part time at home in healthcare, which seems to be doing okay. My husband is a crop farmer employed by his family, and so far that is okay. Flooding was bad last year and prices are expected to go down a lot next year, but we're used to the uncertainties of farming. I'm doing as much on the side as I can to build up a little buffer zone and buy things to help us be more self sufficient, like more chicks, hopefully hives, etc.

Our families are not doing so well. My family's company has laid off almost everyone. One BIL is applying for jobs before he loses his. Another is already laid off. My brother is laid off too often between jobs.

We have just let everyone know they can get food here :) I would really like to get set up with bees by spring, beef up the chicken flock, and plant even more than I ever have before this year.

One of my CSA customers had to cut back on her share this year, so I offered her a full share if she comes out to help a few hours every other week. Guess it's starting to hit close to home.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not unduly worried. Husband's job is pretty secure, we're getting ready to put in the garden, we have chickens, pantry is stocked and I'm hopeful that we'll come out of this in the next year or so.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I think we will be better after we get our income tax return and get some of the bills...mostly the $3K in medical bills...paid off. I have never had this much debt before that we have not been able to pay off immediately. DH lost his job last August and he had to take a $800 a month pay cut and it is really starting to catch up with us. They are also forcing him (everyone at his work) to take three vacation days a month just to spread the work around. Once he runs out of vacation days then he will have to take the three days off a month unpaid!! Then he will only be getting 32 hours a week pay for three weeks out of the month!! Things are tight on a 40 hour a week pay! We have cut out ALL eating out. We have cut out several of the kids' activities. Cut out lots of unneccassary spending. It has been very stressful (and I have had another issue bothering me so the stress of the finance just compounds it!) But I am being optimistic and praying that things will get better!!