So,... I got some sheep yesterday...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but hubby said-no deviations, we are here to buy dairy sheep.

With that being said, we got two pregnant romanov sheep, one due in january, one a little later on.

Romanovs are not dairy sheep.they are known to produce litters of sheep--up to 7 (Ack! we did not know that when we bought them). but apparently-they sell really well, mature very quickly and are easy keepers. We will still try to milk, but I have a feeling that we will still be looking for a dairy creature of sorts.
Sorry--no pics yet.

so, now I am busy reading up on keeping sheep, and making sure they are doing well. If nothing else, they might help with our goal to be registered as farmers. (must gross $7000 in sales per year).

They are cute, one is black and one is grey. They are still a little shy, but getting used to us.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No pics yet. Well, we have taken some but I get really "blonde" when it comes to taking the pics from the camera and onto the computer. And wouldn't you know it?--hubby left for up north this morning and wn't be back until saturday. If I have lots of free time, I will try to play around with it, but that's not likely.

We plan on getting some more electric netting and have them mow the lawn for us. I bought grain for them today, since they are preggers. The guy at my feed store has sheep, so he is getting me started. from what I've read, only pregnant and beginning of lactating ewes should have grain, and he even says minimal. Young lambs will need some feed too for the first bit. Does this sound right to you guys?
and free choice hay. Clean water and salt and minerals.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm happy and I like them, but I keep shaking my head, thinking--that's all we need are more meat animals around here. (grin) So now we have--rabbits, quail, duck, chicken, eggs, and now lamb.

I want milk!!!! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:bun
:weee

congrats...adding onto the animal train! true SS farmer you are!

COOL

pics when you can.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It sounds like they will be well cared for! :D