So I hived my bees....

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I released my queen today, it went ok. I had to use tiny pliers to get the cork out, and I was afraid with my clumsy fingers I would get her leg or something, but I didn't. I did have to brush off attendant bees several times.

I looked at one of the frames, and they are starting to draw comb! Yeah! I stayed out there and observed for quite a while before I opened the hive up, and I saw one bee come back in with her little 'pollen leggings' on, so I guess they must be finding something in bloom.

For those of you with Langstroths, how do you put the inner cover back on without squishing tons of bees? I put it on upside down so there would be space between it and the frames, but I'd like to put it back on right side up next time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ice, that is certainly wonderful news! I'm very relieved..... :) I am much like you...each step will be taken with questions and held breath that everything will go right.

Aiden, thanks a bunch! I will definitely try this, as I have priced bird baths in the past and they are more than I would be willing to pay. I've tried to make them in the past but they just didn't have the right features for birds. :thumbsup

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
For those of you with Langstroths, how do you put the inner cover back on without squishing tons of bees? I put it on upside down so there would be space between it and the frames, but I'd like to put it back on right side up next time.
Slowly. Move slowly, and put the furthest end on (you're holding up the nearest end to you). Then slowly lower the cover. They will move out of the way, for the most part. You're going to kill bees in your hive manipulations, but with slow, deliberate movements you'll minimize the damage.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
congrats on releasing your queen! and good to hear the girls are finding something to bring home with them.

Iceblink said:
For those of you with Langstroths, how do you put the inner cover back on without squishing tons of bees?
first, you want to blast them with smoke just before you put the cover back on. most of them will move back into the hive, making the number of bees you have to avoid a lot more manageable.

i slide mine on from a long side. that way you can see all the bees that are in the way and shoo them away.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Oh, those are both great tips. THANK YOU!

And Aidenbaby - thanks for the idea for the birdbath. That sounds totally doable for my situation.