So im afraid i have an addiction..

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It seems that we went a little...crazy... on the plants today. We went to Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and Lowes and came away with 17 more tomato plants, 17 more bell peppers, a jalepeno pepper, watermelon, and a bunch of assorted flowers plus 3 nectarine trees and 2 pear trees....

There wasn't room left in the truck for people anymore!

plants2.jpg

We even used the cup holders..

plants1.jpg

And LOOK AT MY APPLE TREES :D They've got leaves and it looks like they're getting buds now too...Looking fab!

plants3.jpg

I'm also curious... We're in zone 5a/5b (kind of on the boarder but we'll say 5a) in Ontario and I was wondering when I should plant out my started plants. I'm worried because we're expected to dip down to 3 degrees at night next week despite being past frost dates. Also, when I plant them out I do have some good miracle grow soil to throw in with them, but should I also use a transplanting fertilizer and when should I administer it? When I water them in the ground or beforehand?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Addicted? We call it "Squirrel Challenge" here, sister! ;)

I'd wait a bit, 3 degrees is a bit close to freezing for me. It will be safe soon enough!

Someone else will have to talk about fertilizer, I have lots of rich compost here, so I just fertilize the pots. I put compost in the planting holes and at least three inches throughout the beds beforehand.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
For you I would say the long weekend in May...usually after the full moon. For me it is the first week of June :rolleyes: too far away!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's not an addiction, that's just good ol' common sense!!! I can't believe how many plants I've sold this year so far, I think everyone is sort of waking up to the idea that they should try to grow some of their own food.
Boy, I wouldn't plant out if it's going to be that cold at night. I usually wait until it looks like we can count on pretty close to 40 degrees each night before I plant out.
I'm not a big fan of Miracle Gro. I prefer to fertilize organically and use a seaweed extract that the plants really love. Your tomatoes will thrive on a little epsom salt and bone meal with a light drink of seaweed once a week or so.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So that's what all those dang cup holders are for!!! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Farmerlor, she's Canadian. That's 3 Celsius.....approaching 40 F, I think. I lived on the border for years and all the bank clock/thermometers showed both US and Canadian time and temp. It could be disconcerting sometimes!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't put my tender veg plants out until May 15 here in zone 5. Last year we had a frost later than that, so I covered them.
We can range from zone 4 to 6, so it is better to play it safe after the money and time investment.
This would be a good time to set them out each day to harden them off.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HAHAHA yeah we are canadian... they've already been out for about a week at the store and sit in a cold frame overnight and outside during the day. I'm using the miracle gro because none of our horse poop has composted down yet and I dont see why i should BUY manure rather than have my own LOL. We have at least 4 more flats plus whatever is in the cold frame, and the miles of lettuce that i accidentally planted (I planted and it kind of ended up everywhere so when they're bigger i have transplant)

bone meal it is... i should pick some up today at canadian tire when we go get the apple trees (4 gala apples...)

Latest posts