So I'm trying to learn to can and

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
my garden, the farmers market, and a farm stand have all failed up have any veggies in canning amounts! I still want to try to can something, but I have no idea what to try. I saw someone had mentioned (was it Free?) homemade pork and beans in another post... And broth in another..... So any other ideas?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you ever canned before at all? Try doing a small batch of jam, lol. Sounds silly, but it's a nice first basic step. It's my first step in canning. It makes it somewhat less scary to think about canning everything else. I'm not as afraid that I'll bust two cases of jars and waste 10lbs of meat or whatever trying to figure out the basics. :) But, it's just like any other thing we do, it's ADDICTIVE!!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just canned blueberry preserves today! They are easy...make a great pancake syrup, ice cream topper, or just something to dunk toast in:) They are quick and easy

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have canned jams and jellies and a couple of other things that don't really require a pressure canner. I also tried canning potatoes last year with a pressure canner, but I am still trying to get the process down and am still not confident. I guess that is what I need-a confidence booster and a little more practice. Lol. I had thought that with all the fresh veggies that now would be the time to jump into it with both feet!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just canned tomatoes today. I am starting pickle relish but it won't be ready for a while yet. I started with strawberry jam, and now....I can't stop! Water bath only for me though. I'm a big old chicken of that pressurized whatchamadiggy :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Try talking to a vendor at your farmers market--one whose veggies you were impressed with, (or one who is close by to you) and see if you can get a bulk pricing, even if it means picking it up at their farm. I am getting organic veggies from a lady in bulk quantities, I just need to contact her the day before I am ready to pick them up, so they will have enough for me. Usually, but not always, you can get better pricing on bulk quantities. Or offer to pick yourself.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For us it's still kinda early in the season. I find that I get the best deals and there is more Grade 2 veggies later in the year. Right now the tomatoes are just turning red so they are a hot item. Never any leftovers for cheap.

Do you save your chicken carcases??? I just did stock again the other day. It's an easy thing to pressure can. Cans pretty quick.

If you use canned beans on a regular basis it's nice to do those. I use kidney and black beans quite often so I pressure can those every now and then.

last week I was getting antsy. Feeling like I was not getting anything done. This week I have done jam, relish, pickles, broth and peaches. It comes in waves!!

:D
g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There's a thread called "cream of x soup" or something like that....make some broth and buy some mushrooms and make up a batch of pints of cream of mushroom soup to use as a base in many recipes for a quick meal.