So...is Sufficient Self "official" yet?

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I mean, I know the site is real and all. We've got tons of great sub-forums, a handy-dandy-link-a-ma-doohicky on all 4 of Rob's forums to go back and forth as we please, a few members trickling on over here from BYC and TEG, and some great conversation amongst a few already regulars...but has there been an official announcement on BYC & TEG yet, or did I just miss it? You know, because we're over here all antsy for this place to go bonkers with posts? :lol:

Or, am I the only one ansty? :lol: Where are the zillions of members? And what about Moderators? Do we have any of those yet?

I willingly admit that I am probably a tad bit clueless about what it takes to get a forum like this up and running (and I think it safe to assume that Rob, you probably have a life other than BYC and your other lovely forums ;)). So there is probably a reason why the site hasn't been widely promoted on the other sites.

Just wondering. :D

Sorry, I'm just having an awfully good time with this forum, and I really want to see it be as big of a success as BYC.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I actually hope that this forum does not get too big. I like the way the easy garden has been and this one is similar.I feel that BYC is too big and not as personal.
I personally feel like it overwhelming.
This is more of a friendly forum as well and you can follow what is going on alot better.
I like that you can hit the button for recent posts and get caught up on what is going on here. When you do that on the bigger forums it is impossible to read every post and thread.
I hardly ever go over to BYC anymore, its just too much.I can't follow anything anymore and I don't have the time to spend on the computer that would require.
I also feel that alot of the posts are so off topic that I have to search for what I am really looking to read about.
I mean this very respectfully and not talking about the members personally. It has nothing to do with the people. Its just the overall vibe. I just feel that its more productive to have a manageable amount of members.
Also, it seems like the members we have now are posting on a regular basis and not just posting here and there and you get to know eachother.
I am by no means stating that I hope no one else ever joins this forum, I just hope that 13,000 people don't.
This site is already a success and I am sure that as word gets out people will join, people will find us by accident too.
My hope that anyone who does join, joins for the right reasons and not just because.
This forum will be alot more productive if the people who do become members are genuinely interested in self sufficiency.
When people join because their friends are here but aren't really all that interested in the subjects it turns into conversations with eachother that we all witness.
This forum so far has been fantastic, everyone is contributing and actually giving valuable and on target information.I hope that when membership swells this is not lost. I agree, it is a good time over here and I hope this post is not taken the wrong way by anyone. Just my observation and opinion, which doesn't mean a whole lot.:)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! Yup, I've got a full time job (with a 75 min. commute each way) and a family (2 young girls). :D

That said, we've been pushing the new forums. Announced here:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=71505

And via the BYC newsletter:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=778621#p778621

To get this site a little more busy with posters will require us to get listed on search engines and on other sites and blogs. Keep posting great questions and answers and please link to SufficienSelf if you have a blog or website!

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Thanks for the comments! Yup, I've got a full time job (with a 75 min. commute each way) and a family (2 young girls). :D

That said, we've been pushing the new forums. Announced here:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=71505

And via the BYC newsletter:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=778621#p778621

To get this site a little more busy with posters will require us to get listed on search engines and on other sites and blogs. Keep posting great questions and answers and please link to SufficienSelf if you have a blog or website!
75 minute commute? Yikes. I used to have one of those. I ran away...screaming! :lol:

Ok, I knew that there must have been something I missed. Thanks for keeping me straight. See, it's because I'm here and not over there. :D

Though, speaking of over there, I do know what you mean, the simple life--about BYC being so busy. I love the forum--good people, good information--but it can be a little hectic! Ok, so maybe we could do without zillions of posters here. But though I'm quite happy chatting with the cool little group of peole we've got "hanging out" here, I think that there are probably a lot more people out there with good information that could also be valuable resources here--and a lot more people that need to find this forum and that information.

Sorry if I'm a bit overzealous, I do get a bit ahead of myself sometimes. :p

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well Nifty, is sounds to me like we need to get you out of your J O B and make your forums your new full time income earner!

We used to live and work in the Houston metro area. 1-1.25 hour commute each way. UGH. No way, never again!

DH now works 6 miles from home...takes just about 8 minutes for his commute. 10 minutes on a *bad* day.

So...what can we do to help Nifty get these fantastic forums he's provided for us going full force so they can support his family??? HUH???

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
amyquilt said:
So...what can we do to help Nifty get these fantastic forums he's provided for us going full force so they can support his family??? HUH???
Each of us can mail him a jar of homemade pickles, a dozen hatching eggs, and either a photo of your cow or a handmade quilt square.

Once Rob recieves about 2,000 of these packages in the mail, the local news will cover the story, Reuters will pick it up, he'll become a national oddball celebrity, sell his life's story and live on the proceeds for the next three decades.

So there ya go!

:D

Pat

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
amyquilt said:
Each of us can mail him a jar of homemade pickles, a dozen hatching eggs, and either a photo of your cow or a handmade quilt square.

Once Rob recieves about 2,000 of these packages in the mail, the local news will cover the story, Reuters will pick it up, he'll become a national oddball celebrity, sell his life's story and live on the proceeds for the next three decades.

So there ya go!

:D

Pat
:lol: That's one hell of a plan you got there, Pat. Nifty, you ready for this? :lol:

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd like to see this forum grow and grow. I don't think we have to worry about becoming BYC size any time soon, but even if it did I think we'd still have a great environment to learn and discuss these great topics.

patandchickens said:
he'll become a national oddball celebrity
Maybe not national, but I already do consider myself an oddball celebrity! :p

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I agree with simple life in some ways, but BYC is One of my favourite forums!!!

TEG And SS are Like a small town and BYC is like a big city.
Except With no crime!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I actually hope that this forum does not get too big. I like the way the easy garden has been and this one is similar.I feel that BYC is too big and not as personal.
I would have to agree! I like the information on BYC but its so hard to sift through the mushy, mushy-I-love-my-animals-more-than-you-do stuff and get to the practical, interesting posts.

I like this forum and I hope we get more folks in here that do not belong to the other forums, as well. The wealth of information on this subject has, thus far, been largely untapped and I can't wait to be here when it is! Its interesting to hear about people and their families and how they are making it. Trying new ideas, finding out how simple one can make their life....well, thats just too appealing!

Post on, fellow forumers! :D