So is the s*%t starting to hit the fan for you?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
How is it for you?

Is it getting bad out there for you and your family and your locality?

It is here. Empty houses. Friends and relatives unemployed, some rather desperate. The financially stable people I knew are all currently struggling with rare exceptions. Our own situation is not good at all, worst I can remember since we got married 28 years ago.

Today on the news they were saying the crime spree was because people are getting "desperate." Made me wonder if the you-know-what is hitting the fan sooner than we thought.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say, it hit here a long time ago. However, we live in a farming community...so most everyone here is at least feeding thier own. We use the barter system here, ALOT! Have too! No one has money they can spare. LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Things are getting worse. Lots of empty houses in my neighborhood are going up for auction next week. A lot of our customers went out of business. We are treading water.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i still have a job so it's good enough. we'll see how things go. i'm not employed by anyone local so i don't have to worry about that aspect. haven't had any neighbors robbed yet... but i'm glad i don't own anything obvious.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:/ I was laid off at the beginning of June. At least I get unemployment, but it did take a good chunk out of our income.

There are a number of people we know, or couples where one recently lost their job, one couple BOTH were out of work for a while, her hubby was jobless for a month or so - the only job he could find is in the next state!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here things are not too bad, I still have a job, in my field( home health care), there is usually work and I have a good rep.But the state and federal goverment is cutting back on programs, so clients are getting less and less hrs, I usually get around 35 a wk. DS is on salary with his company,(concrete) there is a little sign of work slowing down, but so far so good.We are very blessed.

People around here is general just don't seem to think that things are headed down the drain.

We grow alot of our own food,meat, eggs, veggies, and stockpile what we can,got a closet full of TP ;)

There are considerable amount of homes on the market here, so times are getting worse for most of us.

My outlook is hang on this could get bumpy.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think this is the calm before the storm hits - we've had stormy weather financially, but I think it is going to get a lot worse. For one, the state and local governments are really hitting rock bottom, and that means layoffs, cutting back of services, so fewer jobs, more unemployment, fewer services which employ people....kind of a cascading effect.

I'm thinking about trying to find a part time weekend job to supplement my income now, so I can sock more away to cover the mortgage in case I get hit.

most people I know are struggling, lots of unemployed/underemployed.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Doing okay here. Husband is in farming, I'm in healthcare parttime, farming parttime. We grow a lot of our own food, so we have plenty to eat and enough to pay the bills. I see a lot of empty houses in town, but this area does not seem to be hit super badly. I know a factory or 2 here cut hours or production lines also.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I thank GOD every day we had the foresight to get the house paid off early and start getting serious about stocking the pantry. There are 4 to 7 empty re-po houses within 2 miles any direction from our house. I can darn near throw a rock and hit 3 of them. It is really bad inside the city limits. Our local unemployment rate has to 20% or better. The last 20 years has seen a LOT of major companies close up and move out and they didn't take a lot of employees with them. Local county government is really struggling, and for awhile this summer the sheriff's dept was down to just a couple deputies. The city was just declared in financial straights and the state is stepping in to help guide the way :rolleyes:

We just keep stockpiling ammo and food. I think it is a very good thing that I work here at home. At least I can keep an eye on the neighbors stuff while they are at work. I also rotate customers cars around quite a bit so any would be bad guys really don't now if we are home or not. ;)
BAD part of that is, it gives them more targets to look at............