So the point of Animal Control is...?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday I guess there was a dog running loose around our shopping center, it then ran into our pet store which was good. We get a lot of strays LOL. But, this dog terrified and would bite/attack if you came near it (poodle x btw). A nice customer worked for a few minutes, got a slip lead around its neck so I set up an x pen w/ water in the back and put him in there.

I called the # on his tag & left a message, then I tried calling AC,HS, police, etc. 5:07 on a holday, no one answered. There's not even an answering machine or service!! Dogs don't HAVE hours or holidays!! Are you joking me? I called the police operator,explined we had an AGRESSIVE stray dog and needed assistance, we closed at 7. She said to take it to the local emergency vet clinic in downtown Santa Barbara! We were in uptown Goleta, he is really aggressive, how are we supposed to transport him?? And why is he our problem??

Called the boss, she said to leave him over night w/ food, water and a pee pad.

I just don't understand what AC is for, they never answer, which is fine IF THERE'S AN ANSWERING SERVICE OR MESSAGE MACHINE! Dogs, again, don't have "hours" or "holidays" or "weekends"!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is all a matter of what your community is willing to pay for.

In our area, things were substandard with both the HS and the AC about 10 years ago, but people got involved, complained, changed leaders, etc., and things are better.

Dogs don't speak, so dog lovers sometimes have to speak up. Unfortunately this is not a time when communities have very many financial resources to expand services.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can't fund AC like an emergency room. staff waiting all hours of the day for a call or whatever. counties/cities etc can't afford it.
but it is annoying when you need help and can't get it very fast.

edited for spelling, honestly I can't type anymore HAHA

oh, so what is the update? did the number on the tag call back? did doggie get home?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's frustrating, especially if you live in a poor county. Our AC is "on call" 4 hours/day, M-F. The rest of the time the number rings in to the Sheriff's dept. :/

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's where an aanswering service or message machine comes in handy. If someones "on duty" they can go about business or whatever, but check every hour, or have an answering service. That's how E-Vets used to operate, they responded to the closest participating clinic after the answering service directed the call.

You know what's stupid? I live in a rich, dog friendly community. But our AC sucks.

No update yet, I left at 6 last night and don't work today. I'm texting my coworker ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure hope the dogs owner shows up. I am betting the aggressiveness is from fear. I hope someone can step up for this dog. These are bad times for everyone.....unfortunately, the pets suffer.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
His owners came and picked him up! :) They were nice, and seemed responsible enough as he had i.d. tag, registration tag, a good haircut, and he seemed cuddly & sweet, but def scared/fearful. I don't know how he got out, but we've had horrendous wind that scares dogs and that's when lost dogs are at the highest.

I'm glad he got to go home :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great ending for that dog --lucky dog!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm glad that the owners showed up. We are in a fairly poor rural area, with 70% of the population living below the income poverty line. Our local animal control is only about two years old, before that we had none. It is severely underfunded and relies on donations for over 40% of it's operating budget.

We try to support all of the shelter's fund raisers and try drop of one or two large bags of dog and cat food at least once a month. It has only one paid employee and a couple of people that volunteer their time. With the state of the economy, I don't foresee things getting better, and I'll be surprised if it can remain open for much longer. It's a shame, but shelters are usually one of the first items to feel the axe when budgets get tight.

Support your local shelters.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SO SO Happy for the dog, he has responsible owners. :clap What a lucky dog!!!