So what do I do with the hide?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We processed a lamb today, and I have the hide waiting for me in the shop. What should I do with it? I'm not a spinner, so that's out. tan it?. boil it for lanolin, what...--I'm clueless as to what I should do with it.

Suggestions please :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
quick! tan it! you cant wait! there are lots of good instructions online. i had two fabulous hides...and i waited it was too late

so when are we all coming over for the lamb feed?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I think you can freeze the hide until you decided what to do with it. I got that from a very quick internet search. I don't know if you need to salt it before freezing.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Salt it before freezing it if you are going to tan it. You don't have to but it works better. Don't try to tan it now, because it is too warm and flies are out. If you don't want to tan it then I wouldn't salt it first, but definately freeze it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
There are instructions in the Storey sheep book on home-tanning pelts (in the new edition anyhow, probably in the older ones too but can't confirm); probably also a bunch online if you google.

Wanna know how it turns out! :)

Pat

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got a couple deer hides in the freezer right now waiting until I get around to tanning them. I didn't salt mine first though.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, it is in the freezer, but I don't think it is a candidate for tanning. I checked it over and there are about 4-5 cuts in the hide, and unfortunately a few in areas where you cant hide them.

It was the first lamb we did, we still have two more from that ewe to do, and I'm sure we will get better at skinning it. In the mean time I wil gather the ingredients to tan one, and salt it before I put it in the freezer. Honestly , tanning a hide seems like a winter project to me, as I am extremely busy during the other three seasons.

I would still like to use this hide though but not sure what to do with it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Well, it is in the freezer, but I don't think it is a candidate for tanning. I checked it over and there are about 4-5 cuts in the hide, and unfortunately a few in areas where you cant hide them.
I dunno, couldn't you still tan it and just use it in smaller pieces? For covering a chair or stool seat, I dunno what else, there must be plenty of other uses for less-than-full-hide sheepskin.

Pat

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It would make a good practice piece. That way you have a little experience before risking a good hide. It is MUCH better to do in winter, the hide doesn't spoil as easily and you don't have to deal with flies.