So you purchased a gun? Is the family safer now than before?

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is official, we have now moved from electronics to the real indicator of peoples concerns to start prepping. The newspaper headlines tell the story of Black Friday 2011 guns as being one of the highest purchased consumer products.

Those who are purchasing guns for the very first time for home protection need to seriously consider, if the family is safer now or as before? The facts, there are still more accidental shootings than home invasions. Beyond purchasing a gun and stock piling ammo, a real family plan should also be considered.

Regardless if you plan to carry or just to keep at bedside, you should still consider taking the class. It will not only help you learn how to handle your gun safely, it will prepare you for the mental decisions and legal ramifications that need to be made when you draw a weapon on an individual. That split second decision may be life changing for you and the individual in the cross hairs.

Keeping a gun at bedside at the ready and still meeting the legal requirements of keeping guns out of the reach of children is a challenge in itself. But how do you determine friend or foe in the middle of the night with other family members coming and going, especially with kids off to college coming back on surprised visits?

Communications and family codes and passwords is the key along with practice training for a possible home invasion. Just like experts recommend children and parents should have a coded message to call or text if the kid is in trouble so parents can alert authorities. This concept also needs to be incorporated into an overall family communication plan, providing a message with return for family members to come in late at night and not be confused as an intruder and be shot.

Distant family members and friends who might pop in late at night unexpected need to be alerted that you are now armed and weary of home invasions, and suggest a cell phone call be initiated before dropping in unexpectedly.

It may seem to be overkill but beyond communications a general action plan needs to be practiced and discussed with all family members. The worst case scenario beyond an intruder crashing through the front door is to have a family member rush out in the line of fire to see what is going on or not understand your command to drop left for you to take a clear shot.

We do carry both leather and nylon holsters at Cottage Craft Works.COM for those needing a dependable holster for conceal and carry or to keep in the home.

H002-paddle-45-Caliber-Automatic.jpg

Arm and protect your family, but please do so safely.

Freedom57

Power Conserver
Reaction score
100 % on gun safety! I have a CCW permit in Tennessee and safety is always job one . Do I feel safer owning or carrying a gun? No. I do think my odds of survival are increased granted I use the skills I know. Gun ownership is a huge responsibility!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find a gun necessary out here in the country...not for intruders, just for varmints and pests. Although, my son had to stand off and back down a crazy man who burst into their house the other day, cursing and screaming....the only thing he had close enough that he could load quickly was a .410! :lol:

It worked, though..... :p Cops finally caught up to the guy after he ran off.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I find a gun necessary out here in the country...not for intruders, just for varmints and pests. Although, my son had to stand off and back down a crazy man who burst into their house the other day, cursing and screaming....the only thing he had close enough that he could load quickly was a .410! :lol:

It worked, though..... :p Cops finally caught up to the guy after he ran off.
the cops told me that I couldn't keep my unloaded shot gun near my door and they would take it if they saw it again. For short range personal protection they suggested one of those aerosol wasp sprays that will throw a steady stream about 10 yards. This was after the tornado and I had a nut that insisted he had to come in my house and preach at me about why I was punished by God. well he kept pulling at my storm door so I let it go and grapped the wasp spray, I caught him right across the eyes and he fell in the sidewalk out front when the cops arrived I gave them the can to take to the emergency room so they would know what they had to treat him for. as a nice little side bonus the spray left a oily mess that clearly showed he was inside when I nailed him. the cops say there should be no further problems.~gd

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
the cops told me that I couldn't keep my unloaded shot gun near my door and they would take it if they saw it again. For short range personal protection they suggested one of those aerosol wasp sprays that will throw a steady stream about 10 yards.
This seems completely bizarre! Where is it written in state law that you can't keep an unloaded gun inside your own home? What would be the grounds for confiscating it?? :rant

Personally, we don't have kids, & NO one walks into our home unannounced, not even the inlaws. That being said, I hope & pray I never, ever feel the need to point my gun at anyone. :/

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That wasp spray is a great idea! Going to get me some. Never thought about using something like that in slef defense before but now that you say it is makes soooo much sense, and won't kill anybody!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: the title----SO you purchased a gun. NOW WHAT!

reminds me of other titles, like YOU purchased a puppy, now what? You bought a kitten, now what? Those how to books to learn AFTER you buy.

you have to be able to 'like' guns. If you don't, stay away. You will probably kill yourself or a family member.

I am not a gun fan. I can shoot absolutely, but I do not 'enjoy' guns like my hubby does. He is the gun man. I sure can pull the trigger if needed, that is not a problem ever, but for anything else I don't use them. Hubby is the hunter, defender and keeper of guns.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea too...we have a cannister of "dog attack spray" that we got from Animal Control. I carry it while walking & then leave it by the front door. I'm guessing if it'll deter an attacking dog, it might make a human think twice too. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought the regular old pepper spray at the store. While riding bikes a few dogs came after me and tried to bite off my ankles.
I tied the spray to my handlebars. Oh yea, it works ;)