So you want a tank of gas, do ya?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, right on! And we all chipped in for a couple gal of gas to ride around on Fri night. :lol:

And no $100 car keys.
You could actually "cruise" those 70's cars. Advance the timing one or two degrees. Punch the gas then let off the gas pedal and go a long ways on the fumes :) the days of cruising are gone with electronic ignition and computer sensors. The closest I get get now is with a trailer loaded with several tons, but it's not the same.

I had an old 68 ford PU that I traded some stuff for. It had a button clutch, the strangest thing when that clutch hit the flywheel you knew it... Bam, It would jerk you and put your head against the back window. If you hit it just right it would lift the front tires off the ground. I never could figure out why that truck threw flames out of the exhaust pipes when you would get on it in second and third gears. It was quite impressive and scary at the same time.

After bleach burning through a set of rear tires and two tickets. I sold it back to the guy I traded it for. That truck was nothing but plain trouble for a young guy like me. I seem to recall pulling up to the gas station and filling up on oil and checking the gas.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I learned standard shift on a little powder blue volkswagon. First full time job was pushing a mop at the hospital. Take home pay was around $65/wk. We lived in an apartment in town. One car. Hubby usually walked or rode his bike to work, and I took the car, since my job was farther away. We lived on one pay check, saved the other. We were able to buy land and start building our home within 2 years. Groceries: $22/week bought 3 - 4 bags. We walked across the street to buy groceries, then pushed the cart back into the parking lot after we'd taken the groceries into the apartment. I think that a lot of our current national financial woes are related to sense of entitlement: People feel entitled to having NEW everything. And DOUBLE everything. 2 TV's, 2 (or more) cars. A lot of folks consider a car to be "old" if it's past the 2 year mark. Go out to eat all the time. Spend thousands of $$$ on a wedding, then thousands $$$ on a honey moon, and then, they must furnish their home with NEW everything. Clothing.... designer fashion all the way.... A lot of women are high maintenance: I was in a friend's bathroom the other day, and counted 35 bottles/tubes of personal care goop in shower and on counter. This was just the stuff that was out! The linen closet and all other drawers were also stuffed. Then... there's the hair dresser appointments, the manicures and pedicures.... and on it goes. If I were a man, I'd surely be thinking twice about taking on the debt that goes along with wedding a "princess". Of course... that last thought process can go the other way, also... Lots of men have very expensive hobbies.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210313-185926~2.png

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:eek: :th :eek::eek::th:ep:ep:ep:hit:hit:hit:hit SOOOOO glad that is not here. But I am concerned it might be.....
Just paid 2.57 to fill up. ; saw it for 2.69 in town ;

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife asked me to take her to town this evening. Every time I go to town, I dislike it a little more.

Fuel prices are going in the completely wrong direction, sadly :(

I57 & RT 13 Marion, IL - March 15, 2021.
#2 Diesel Credit $3.36 a gallon
IMG_20210315_201635812.jpg

#2 Diesel Cash $3.30 a gallon
IMG_20210315_201645184.jpg

Save 6 cents a gallon, if your carrying a wad of cash, Absolutely crazy!

A over the road semi holds 150 gallons in each fuel tank and there are two tanks or 300 gallons of diesel fuel topped off. You do the math... It's right around $1000.00 to fill one over the road semi. Now look at how many semis you see on an interstate. On average, those semi's get about 6.5 miles per gallon of fuel. More math and more crazy madness!

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are holding onto the hope that when the winter diesel is done, the price will drop down some.
But, reality is that you need to hold onto your wallet - this ain't going to be pretty.

Biden wants 100% of new car sales to be electric vehicles by 2030. Not goin to be pretty for those of us that need a truck for getting stuff done.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife asked me to take her to town this evening. Every time I go to town, I dislike it a little more.

Fuel prices are going in the completely wrong direction, sadly :(

I57 & RT 13 Marion, IL - March 15, 2021.
#2 Diesel Credit $3.36 a gallon
View attachment 15592

#2 Diesel Cash $3.30 a gallon
View attachment 15594

Save 6 cents a gallon, if your carrying a wad of cash, Absolutely crazy!

A over the road semi holds 150 gallons in each fuel tank and there are two tanks or 300 gallons of diesel fuel topped off. You do the math... It's right around $1000.00 to fill one over the road semi. Now look at how many semis you see on an interstate. On average, those semi's get about 6.5 miles per gallon of fuel. More math and more crazy madness!
Our diesel is about the same price... up to a few cents more.... regular is about $.20 less than that....
Thank goodness I got the tank filled here and DS filled the tanks at the farm.

Latest posts