So...

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
What made you decide to start homeschooling???
We started because I was too bored in school.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My sister started homeschooling my niece because she was identified as likely to pass the WASL, the states standardized test for the no child left behind act. Since she was able to pass the test she was ignored. She really likes math and was bummed that the school spent so much time doing last years math. She was told to read during math since she already knew the material. Now she hates reading. My sister's choice was to limit her child's potential to that of the other students or home school her. So I guess you can say my niece was bored.

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joebwe25 said:
What made you decide to start homeschooling???
We started because I was too bored in school.
That's why my son was unschooled in high school - he was really bored.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband wanted me to home school our oldest because of the vulgarness of some of the kids at school. At first I didn't want to because I didn't want to deal with high school math. (When I was in high school my algebra teacher didn't speak English. No Joke.) We put her in a small private school for a couple years. I realized I could do it so I took her out in eighth grade. We made it through high school in 3 years only doing school in the mornings. She has now graduated from college. My youngest 2 have never been enrolled in a school. I like teaching them myself on our own schedule. Besides academic studies I like to teach them real life skills.

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My daughter who was in kindergarten had a little boy expose himself to her!!!!!!!!! :mad: And then she started having issues with the kids on the play ground. The last straw was when she came home crying and looked up at me and said through streaming tears.....Mama, you taught me how to walk and talk why can't you teach me my school work? I had actually been praying about it. And right then I knew what God wanted me to do--Teach my daughter at home! I have total peace from Him. :love

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We chose to homeschool because we felt the school failed our kids.

In first grade, my daughter started itching, told her teacher she itched so bad. Teacher looked, and a rash was starting on her neck. Sent her to office to call home, office staff sent her back to class. Little while later she complains to her teacher again, this time rash has spread and she now has a fever. Two more times, Teacher sends her to office, office sends her back to class. End of day, they put her on the bus, send her home. She was on the bus for an hour. Gets home, says mom I am really itchy. I stripped her to her underwear and she literally had scratched until she bled! She was too hot to touch. DH was helping her get dressed while I grabbed thermometer to take her temp. Didn't happen. Not 30 seconds later, literally 5 minutes after getting off the bus, she passes out.

We thought she had died.

I called 911, we are trying to get her to wake up, she won't. 911 operator is trying to calm me down, DD starts projectile vomitting, and still unconscious, we are trying to keep her from aspirating her own vomit. Finally she wakes up, but is begging us to let her sleep. Ambulance arrives. Spends two days in hospital. Fever won't break. They ended up packing her in ice to break her 104 temperature!!

Diagnosis, severe analyactic shock to...ready for this? BLACK MOLD! which was found IN the school walls after recent flooding!

We left her in school. Sent her and her brother the next year. No real big problems.

Last year, our 4 year old goes to pre-k, rides same bus as big brother and sister. A sixth grader PUSHES my 4 year old down on the bus, causing him to have a goose egg on his head!!! BUS DRIVER DID NOTHING!

Couple weeks later, we are told DD has lice. OK. We treat it, even though we couldn't find anything. Take her in to be checked, they say no she still has it. Ok treat again. Three times, they refuse to let her back in school OK. treat again, trip to health department, Director of Nursing checks her, says she's clean, no reason for her to not be in school. Writes note to princinpal.....Principal says we do NOT go by the health department, we have to check her. Health department is not allowed to give the approval. WHAT???!!

THEN my other DS, who was in 1st grade, got beat up on the playground. His eye was swollen and purple. Never got a call. It had happened at morning recess, and they didn't even let him see the nurse for an icepack!!! I was livid.

So I decided for my kids safety and health, to homeschool.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ditto to all of the above! The boredom of being light years ahead of the class from being homeschooled already, the incompetence of the teachers, the politics, the incessant meanness and bullying, and the fear of it never getting any better as time wore on. Finally moved away and haven't had too many problems in this school system.

Do you guys find that children who have been taught to respect their elders and not sass and be heathens all the time generally get picked on much more in school nowadays? Used to be the trouble making brats were in the minority...now they are the cool crowd and the good kids are singled out and picked upon. :/

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Do you guys find that children who have been taught to respect their elders and not sass and be heathens all the time generally get picked on much more in school nowadays? :/
Yes I see this happening more and more. In our state our Gov. (in one of his promises we know how that is) said he wants to put the control back in the Teachers hands. To where out of control children would be punished. We'll see.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
They were not doing anything that I couldn't do at home. Plus, I thought they should be more attentive and demanding. Just getting by is not enough when my DS has more potential. And you can bet, I will make the time to yank it out of him. ;)

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My sixth grader came home talking about the street drugs and how they were used (he learned in health class). I asked if he knew where to get them and he said "Sure, everyone knows who to talk to." I had already been praying about it and that convinced us. Best decision we ever made. Of course, that was 21 years ago. Watching nieces and nephews that aren't homeschooled is very sad and shows that things haven't improved and we have some awesome teachers in our area. They just can't do what needs done with the restrictions placed on them.