Soaked, Flour-Free Oatmeal Pancakes

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These things are so good and have a texture that makes it hard to believe there is no flour involved. And of course, the soaked oatmeal is good for you.

1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup whey, yogurt, buttermilk or water with a splash of vinegar

3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tbsp honey, sugar, or brown sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)

coconut oil or butter or oil for cooking

The day before cooking, combine oats, water and whey. Mix well, mashing the oats down into the liquid as much as possible. Cover and leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.

Preheat skillet over medium-low heat. Combine eggs, baking powder, salt and other flavorings in a small bowl. Pour over soaked oatmeal and stir well. It will be thick, unlike regular pancake batter.

Melt your coconut oil or butter in your warm skillet. For each pancake, use a heaping tablespoon or two of batter. Gently spread the batter out until its 1/8" thick. Cook 4-5 minutes, until the bottom has set and is nicely browned. The top and sides will have begun to dry. Flip and cook another 3 minutes. Serve with butter, honey, syrup or nut butter. Makes about 10, 4" pancakes.

I tried to make these into cookies. I added chopped walnuts, more brown sugar and made them smaller. I still ended up with dinky pancakes, but the addition of the nuts was pretty good.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm...... :drool These sound good! I will have to try these!

Latest posts