Soap and lotion supplies!?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
were do you get yours. im having some real issues with store bought soaps and lotions lately and want to make my own...(and mabe eventually make some to sell) so im loking for a source for all the ingredients. im planning on starting simple and going for lotion, bath salts ect first and working up to soap, but i need a god source for the base oils, essential oils ect...

anyone?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Heh, you're going to either love me or hate me... I'm not sure which!

I've been doing research on this recently, too. I am getting as far away from chemical concoctions as I can, and making my own things. I take a lot of pride in making my own stuff anyway, especially when its BETTER than store bought!

Here is a list of what I have found recently:

There are two supply sites that are really nice:
http://www.butters-n-bars.com/ - I have ordered things from them, and was pleased with the quality. Their customer service seemed to be a bit lacking, however, I suspect that is because they might be a one-man-show, if you know what I mean. I emailed them with a question (I think I had not received any confirmation that my order had been shipped, and it had been several days since I placed the order and they had my money), got a quick response, and the order was sent the next day. Part of the Avocado oil that I ordered was on back order, which was noted on the pack slip, and a few days later I received another package with the rest of it, and wasn't charged for any additional shipping or anything. So not great communication, but good products (and I like supporting the little guy!). Once you order, you'll be on their mailing list and they periodically send 20% off coupons via email

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ - I have never used them, BUT they come HIGHLY recommended by a lot of people that I know that do things with making your own products. I wouldn't use their essential oils, but I get all my essential oils from a different company.

Recipes:
http://www.kristanlynn.com/2011/05/diy-clean-eyes.html - Eye Makeup Remover/Face cleaner: I honestly haven't tried this with makeup yet, because I don't wear it all that often, but it works pretty good if my face is really grimy after being outside and working in the heat or something. It feels good and is sooooo simple to make

http://lifehacker.com/5899343/make-...s-for-cheap-effective-allergy-and-cold-relief - DIY Sinus Clearing Shower Tablets: I have never heard of these before, but they sounded really cool, and seem pretty easy to make. Now I just gotta make them!!

www.crunchybetty.com/nutty-butt-butter-your-little-cellulite-secret - Nutty Butt Butter: OMG I am DYING to try this!! It sounds like it would smell heavenly, and heck, even if it doesn't work, how much fun is it to say that you make Nutty Butt Butter???? Becareful, though, cause I swear, that blog is ADDICTIVE. She has a good collection of other things, too (I haven't made it due to the Tamanu Oil, which is NOT cheap. You can get it from Mountain Rose Herbs though).

www.crunchybetty.com/nutty-butt-butter-your-little-cellulite-secret - Home Made Ginger Sugar Scrub: haven't tried it but I thought it looked neat

http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/kitchen-beautician-lemon-scrub - Lemon Sugar Scrub: Again, looked cool, but I haven't tried it

http://mountainroseblog.com/diy-natural-deodorant-sprays/ - Natural Deodorant Spray: This came off of the Mountain Rose Herbs blog, and looks cool. I filed it away for later!

http://phasestoforever.blogspot.com/2011/04/detox-bath-take-ii.html - Detox Bath II: (I have no idea why it is II, I have no idea where I is anyway!) Again, looked cool, simple, and I probably have most of these ingredients on hand.

http://myellowumbrella.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-lotion-bars-and-lip-balm.html - Home Made Lotion Bars & Lip Balm: I actually saved this one more for the lip balm than the lotion bars. I have a better (In my opinion) recipe for lotion bars.

http://www.marthastewart.com/265388/body-scrub - Epsom or Sugar Body Scrub: Just another version. I liked that this one had salt rather than the sugar (I keep VERY little plain white sugar in my house anymore! It only gets fed to the humming birds!)

www.readymade.com/blog/fashion/2010/12/20/handmade_gift_idea_natural_body_moisturizer - Home Made Lotion: I haven't tried this one either, but it sounds like it would be a good recipe. I haven't found many "normal" lotion recipes

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/make-your-own-moisturizing-body-butter.html - Home Made Body Butter: LOVE this idea... and I HAVE everything that is required! I just haven't DONE it yet! This is also another good blog with lots of ideas and home made things.

Now that I've probably put you into overload....heh, have fun! :gig

Edit to add: I found a recipe for an oatmeal bath that was really cute - the oatmeal was bundled up in fabric. I think it would be a nice seller, but I didn't save the link :hit Hopefully I'll trip over it again wandering around the internet. The other thing I am looking for is how to make different kinds of bath salts. I understand putting herbs in them, but beyond that how does one "flavor" bath salts??

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some stuff is locally purchased. Sam's Club Olive Oil, Louanne coconut oil (Walmart), Espsom salt (Sam's) and a few other things.

Other than that...

CandleScience for fragrance oils
Brambleberry for a very limited few fragrance oils (only my MUST HAVES)
SoapersChoice for most of the bulk oils

Then other things come from Wholesalesuppliesplus.com and I know there are others, but I don't frequent them except when I'm playing with something new. I buy bulk items (usually spending about $100-$200 in any one place) and save on shipping. To start out, sometimes it's easier to purchase from others. I do this a lot with fragrance oils. I can save a good bit of money buying stuff to play around with from others, since shipping is always cheaper (most suppliers ship UPS or refuse to use flat rate USPS), then when I've tested and know that I definately want to add it to my supplies, I purchase it in bulk.

When buying bulk, make sure you can use it or resell the excess raw material within the expiration date. Make sure you have space to store it. Other than that, don't buy bulk before trying and being 100% sure that it's exactly what you want.

ETA: Research is your best friend. Do a LOT of research before just jumping into it, because you can save a lot of money through other peoples' mistakes! You'll still waste a lot of money, but you'll save a ton too, lol.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In a nut shell, these are my thoughts on soaping:

I have really liked everything I have gotten from Texas Natural Supply. They have good customer service and are very knowledgeable.

Our family cannot use anything but pure essential oils in our products. Fragrance oils tend to speed up trace for me (like lightening fast) the few times I have used them. if you are trying to get away from chemicals you might consider avoiding them.

Www.Millersoap.com is a wealth of information.

Always run recipes through a lye calculator to verify accuracy. Www.soapcalc.net is the calculator I use. I also use it when developing new recipes.

My favorite essential oil combination is 1.5 oz of five fold orange oil and .5 oz black pepper oil in a 100oz recipe.

Look up water discounting after you get the hang of soaping a bit. It will considerably shorten your drying time and your bars will shrink less.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Our family cannot use anything but pure essential oils in our products. Fragrance oils tend to speed up trace for me (like lightening fast) the few times I have used them.
This is another good area that research really helps you save money. There are certain types of fragrance oils that speed trace. Florals are a huge group that has a lot of problems with acceleration and "soap on a stick" problems. Some people HP them. I personally soap cold to avoid that issue, or I just work really fast, lol. I tend to research each fragrance from each supplier before purchasing, however, I do make blind purchases where I really have no idea what's going to happen, so long as they're skin safe. I've been trying to get reports up on Candle Science about each fragrance I've used in CP, just to make it easier on other people who're purchasing from there, but they've got a LOT of fragrances and I have only sampled but a scant few, and mostly, I HATE writing reviews, because I'm afraid I'll forget something, lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks, im nto too worried about buying bulk right now...
id like to do a line of me/my dog frinedly bug repelant soaps and lotions using lemon balm and catnip and such...i need to play with the oils a little to get just the right balance but catniip is supposed to be as effective as deet... so thats realy my first focus, i already work quite a bit with herbs and essential oils so im thinking this would be a good way to go to expand on that using things i already know.

going to go play "follow the linkage" lol.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HQueen, you can use salt/sugar interchangably in your scrub recipes. One cool thing I've been thinking about trying is melt and pour soap sugar cubes. Since they're individual cubes, for sales you don't have to use extra preservatives.

lovely

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Natures Garden is another option for you: Excellent prices and free recipes.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
after seeing the price of chamomile and catnip Esential oils, i might have to make my own first LOL.
almost $150 for 2oz of roman chamomile...realy now?!