Soap & Detergents

BACOG

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found a good recipe for laundry soap but does anyone make their own shampoo and/or dish soap?

Also can anyone post a link to clear directions on how to make bath soap? I am thinking the regular lye type. I tried researching it on the internet but got into some of the fancier soaps which I do not want to make.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bath soap as in a bar of soap? Easy, peasy. Check youtube, but make sure you use a lye calculator, and you can make up your own recipe with things you have around the house already. I was going to post a quick "how to" tallow soap recipe, then lost my motivation. :/

I do make my own laundry soap (including the bars of soap to grate for in it), but haven't touched on the other stuff, yet. You can use regular liquid soap for dishes, so long as they aren't greasy.

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here is our recipe for Shampoo:

1 c. Dr. Bronners organic castile liquid soap (we use Baby Mild for its versatility -works for baby and us!)
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
3/4 Tbs. tea tree & Vit. E oil (or just one oil only, etc.)
1/4 c. water
1 (16 oz) spray bottle or other container for application

Combine together and store in a spray bottle. You can also add various fragrances to your desire, such as lavender, euycaliptus, etc. This shampoo will be more liquidy than your standard shampoo, but sprays on really well. Rubbing through your hair first works well to activate the suds and than scrubbing into scalp. Your hair will feel slightly more greasy than normal, but that is actually more natural anyway. Most modern shampoos actually dry out your hair, removing the natural oils. Plus it is two in one shampoo & conditioner!

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For bath soap or body wash, we keep it simple with some grated down castille soap, melted down on the stove in some water. You can add essential oils for fragrance. Once its melted and blended nicely, let it sit over night to form up. We throw that in some squeeze bottles and we are good to go. Smells great, and works great.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Actually, for my hair I only use Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar.
I saved an old spice bottle, and put 1 scoop of Baking soda in it (probably a bit more than 1 TBSP), fill the bottle with water, shake to distribute, and then pour over my hair. I also have a friend that does it with less water and makes more of a slurry that she then scrubs into her scalp. I like to pour it over so that it runs down the length of my hair, which is down to my elbows. then I use about 1 oz of ACV, fill a squirt bottle with water the rest of the way, and squirt it over my hair, rinsing between each.
I LOVE it.
The first time I ever did it, my hair came out SO smooth that I ran a comb straight through it with NO trouble. I have NEVER been able to do that after I wash it!
I also add a little coconut oil to keep it sleek and soft, and it helps keep my frizzies down. I actually have glossy hair like I had never been able to have before!

It isn't for everyone, it just depends on your texture of hair, but for me it works AMAZINGLY well, and is dirt cheap!