Soaring Prices Threaten New Food Crisis

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I came across these articles and thought that I'd pass them along. They're especially telling in light of the recent dearly departed thread on Government assurances that all is well in the global food supply.

I don't anticipate food shortages in the US anytime soon, but prices will probably be going up more than they have been. The Bloomberg article mentions that wheat futures have increased 52% in the last year. That's a heck of an increase.

Soaring Prices Threaten New Food Crisis

Corn, Soybeans, Wheat Surge by Exchange Limits as U.S. Cuts Supply Outlook

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've also noticed that gas has gone up 10-15 cents locally, too - that can't help with food prices...

I've only seen one bright spot - Campbells lowered their prices on soups (there was an article in the local paper about it), at Walley World a can is $1 now...& apples are $1/lb... :)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know sugar has gone up 30% in our area. DH keeps track of certain foods to see if prices are going up. So far flour has stayed the same. Rice has also gone up but can't remember by how much.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just purchased onions at 16 cents a pound and 25 pounds of flour for $6.99 ... didn't even need the onions but at that price who can refuse.

At winco flour is up to 40 cents a pound last I looked a couple months ago... really, this is a good time to stock flour. Hopefully the prices will be down by the next time you need to purchase.

We will be having lots of onion soup this winter I guess.

Fred Meyers is having a sale on progresso soups. $1 a can this week... you need a coupon.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Almond meal went from 2.86/lb to 3. The size of frozen veggie bags went from 16oz down to 12oz and the price is the same or higher than it used to be before the shrink.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fuel in our area went up .20 to .25 cents this week.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yeah, fuel went up .20 to .25 a gallon here too!

I am hoping that my canning this year will off set some of the rising food prices.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Corn prices are indeed up also. I've always been uneasy with growing food, and then turning it into fuel for cars, and now I see where a company is making kitty litter out of corn now. Yeesh! Well, I mean, if you got really desperate...., uh, never mind.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just got done reading the FT article. I think Koxx has been reading crop reports since last year (at least) and so have I. The numbers didn't sound right and now it looks like the truth is coming out.

Is this year's harvest a disappointment or were the last year's numbers just a bunch of smoke and mirrors? Or both?

I need to buy some extra bags of feed on Wednesday :p

Latest posts