Social Security cards stolen....good things to know if it happens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My two youngest boys, age 17 and 19, SS cards were stolen from my purse last week. Nothing else was touched but the cards, so I'm assuming they were targeting these items for illegal purposes. I am calling the SS office tomorrow and will try to locate a number to flag these numbers with the credit bureaus but I'm wondering if I should file a police report for our records?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What would it hurt? I would at least call the police and ask their opinion.

That really bites Bee!! Sorry that happened.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep.....pity the person if we ever should meet. I feel like jumping down one end and coming out the other, bringing vital organs along with me...... :somad

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, I just called the state police office and they said I could only file a police report if I discovered someone using the cards fraudulently. Now, wouldn't that be closing the barn door after the horse got out? I'm trying to do preventative measures here!

She said the SS office would issue my boys new numbers if theirs had been stolen as opposed to having just been lost. Never knew they could do that....I thought you were given one number for life?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The terrible thing about waiting to file a police report is that these crooks sit on the information for years sometimes and then begin to use it.

By then you (in general) have sorta forgotten about it. My friend had her identity stolen. NOT FUN! Look for credit card applications with other folk's name but your address coming in the mail. That is what gave her the clue that it was stolen.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If they can issue the boys new numbers, I won't worry about it at all. I've never heard of the SS doing that but the lady at the police station said they would in a case of theft or identity theft.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's also not advisable to carry the SS cards around. Lock them in a safe at home.

I hope everything turns out okay.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow Bee, that just bites a BIG one! I didnt know they would give you a new number. Thats what I would do DEFINATELY! And.. :tongue on the police dept., for not helping. Jeesh!! Lets just waite untill your boys credit is totally ruined, THEN help!?? UGH~!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Frosting said:
It's also not advisable to carry the SS cards around. Lock them in a safe at home.

I hope everything turns out okay.
Why, Frosting.....you came back! Just in time to give some post incident advice, I see..... :rolleyes: :lol: