Sodium Tripolyphosphate

JDTAYLOR53

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much Sodium Tripolyphosphate to add to washing machine per load and dishwasher to get clothes and dishes clean. We have hard water. I know this isn't an earth friendly product but I've not found anything else that has worked. Thank You, Cathy

JDTAYLOR53

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I've tried baking soda, washing soda, borax and calgon in washing machine. You can buy Sodium Tripolyphosphate at The Chemistry Store.Com I emailed them asking how much to add. They emailed me back stating they don't give formulations. I was hoping someone here would know.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Why not try some random "smallish but reasonable amount" -- if it works, try halving it and see if THAT works; if it doesn't, try doubling it and see if that works -- by doing that several times you should be able to sort of triangulate on the best amount to use.

Think of it as a self-sufficient skill - figuring it out ;)

Pat

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
JDTAYLOR53 said:
Does anyone know how much Sodium Tripolyphosphate to add to washing machine per load and dishwasher to get clothes and dishes clean. We have hard water. I know this isn't an earth friendly product but I've not found anything else that has worked. Thank You, Cathy
Phospates in general are not good for the water table and can upset your septic system quite a bit. :sick

If you have hard water, remember that sodium chloride (table salt) is what is used to soften water because it exchanges the sodium for the calcium in the hard water.

I'd recommend a water softener (home made or bought) before adding a lot of any phosphate to the water.
:welcome

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is a huge no no but I have tried everything as well and nothing works... we have a high lime content in our water so everything always has a white film on it in the dishwasher...

So I put about an eighth of a cup of "the works" toilet bowl cleaner (similar stuff to CLR but way cheaper and works great!) into our dishwasher with each load... everything comes out spotless... Also keeps the dishwasher from gunking up with all the lime as well...

Only other natural thing I tried that sorta worked was adding vinegar to the dishwasher... But I had to use a TON of it to make a difference and it seriously stunk up my whole house for the hour or two the dishwasher was running... The kids were gagging and all... LOL Vinegar is fairly cheap but you have to put one to two cups per each load and it adds up fast... Not to mention the gag factor... So I use the works for now till I can find a better solution...

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hummm that would be something to try... I do have citric acid in the cabinet for cheese making... but it's really expensive... might give it a go and see... would always rather use natural stuff over the chemicals anyday... but somethings I just haven't been able to find a way to switch yet...

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
read the blog post - there are some things you CAN'T use it with (enamelware is one, it ruins the finish) - and she sends you to the website for the full spiel. Where you can get a free sample and see if you like it! I think she was saying after the initial "cleaning" (referring specifically to dishwashers), she just puts in couple tablespoons with each load, and the dw is working better and glasses/dishes are getting cleaner - that little white ring at the bottom of the glasses? GONE!

We used to run the dw empty with both cups full of Tang powdered drink mix; guess it's so high in citric acid, it has a similar effect.