Soft rice crispy treats

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a slightly modified version of rice crispy treats off the box from around 1980. It's different now with less butter. Mom just figured out how to use the microwave to make them faster. Cooking the marshmallows on the stove makes them harder.

For Halloween Mom adds orange and yellow food color to two different parts of the rice mix. Then she uses less rice for white. Using a big frypan for a form, she makes small circle of white, orange around it, then yellow on outside. Press very firmly then let cool. Remove from pan and cut into wedges and you have candy corn looking treats.

This summer she made one of my uncles a rice crispy treat cake. It was 3 layers of round treat. Red on the inside and green on outer edge. She has some oval chocolate chips she pressed into the top of the red. So rice crispy watermelon cake. Just cut into slices.

4 tablespoon butter or a bit more.
7-8 cups marshmallows
About 7 cups Rice crispies.

Heat butter in large bowl in microwave 30 secs until melted. Dump in marshmallows and work until butter covers every one. Shove up side of bowl to leave center hole. Microwave 1.5 to 2 minutes until puffed up. Start with about 4 cups rice and fold in. Then add until desired thickness. Dump into heavy buttered pan and press firmly into form.

Let cool 15-20 minutes before cutting.

If adding food color, add after marshmallows are puffed and mix gently right before adding puffed rice.

Mini marshmallows are normally used

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is a slightly modified version of rice crispy treats off the box from around 1980. It's different now with less butter. Mom just figured out how to use the microwave to make them faster. Cooking the marshmallows on the stove makes them harder.

For Halloween Mom adds orange and yellow food color to two different parts of the rice mix. Then she uses less rice for white. Using a big frypan for a form, she makes small circle of white, orange around it, then yellow on outside. Press very firmly then let cool. Remove from pan and cut into wedges and you have candy corn looking treats.

This summer she made one of my uncles a rice crispy treat cake. It was 3 layers of round treat. Red on the inside and green on outer edge. She has some oval chocolate chips she pressed into the top of the red. So rice crispy watermelon cake. Just cut into slices.

4 tablespoon butter or a bit more.
7-8 cups marshmallows
About 7 cups Rice crispies.

Heat butter in large bowl in microwave 30 secs until melted. Dump in marshmallows and work until butter covers every one. Shove up side of bowl to leave center hole. Microwave 1.5 to 2 minutes until puffed up. Start with about 4 cups rice and fold in. Then add until desired thickness. Dump into heavy buttered pan and press firmly into form.

Let cool 15-20 minutes before cutting.

If adding food color, add after marshmallows are puffed and mix gently right before adding puffed rice.
Thanks! I just got out the leftover marshmallows from camping and rice crispies! This looks easier than recipes I've tried before!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've been doing microwave version for a long time now. i always request extra marshmallows or less rice krispies to make them softer. i can eat a whole pan for breakfast - in recent times i've been just trimming around the edges to make sure they are square and those trimmings are what i eat and we give the rest of them away. still not a bad breakfast. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks again for the recipe! We made holiday ones ;)

Attachments

• 20221119_094959.jpg
    20221119_094959.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 94