Solar greenhouse plans

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I had found a link to a totally solar greenhouse, and fortunately, I had copied a lot of the info, because they took that link down. :he
That was where I found the idea of using water in containers as a heat sink/source. I wish now I had copied ALL of the info.....

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes water in containers does indeed work well, as would painting the block wall on this design black. They also paint the water containers black as well.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I love that "solar" greenhouse.

I might be showing some ignorance here but isn't a greenhouse by definition solar?

Unless it is a house painted green.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I love that "solar" greenhouse.

I might be showing some ignorance here but isn't a greenhouse by definition solar?

Unless it is a house painted green.
Well, it is...but in the more Northern climates they need a little more help to retain heat and help you garden longer.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I was just commenting on the marketing use of the word solar.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not super impressed with the design, it could be improved on in a number of ways (thermal mass is exposed to the outdoors and to the house; the roof is awful flat; none of the glass is at a good angle to the sun; lacks much thermal mass; etc). It would definitely not be my choice for a Northern climate, and could be done better for other climates too, although if you just want a sort of warm "sun room" to sit in and get a bit of heating from during the daytime it would be ok.

I too am amused by the gratuitous use of the word "solar" :)

Pat