solar heat from pop cans

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HI guys! Once again it has been awhile since I have been able to check in and I have missed alot!

I have been looking at this thread and am interested in building one of these panels. With DH and a teenage boy in the house we definately have enough soda cans to give it a try. I also have most of the other materials on hand and could get a small solar panel. So I think it would be cost effective to at least check it out.

Here is the one question I have about the whole process. How do I vent the heat into the chicken coop or possibly dog house, I haven't yet decided, when it is finished. Does the small computer fan push the heat through the ducting? Do you run the ducting over that fan? I guess that is where I am confused. Maybe I am just missing something and once someone points it out to me I will be like DUH but right now I just don't see ti. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I would really like to try this.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the small fan is on a thermostat right at the frame of the panel. It should turn on when it gets up to a certain temperature and blow the air thru the duct into what ever you are venting into. My thought, could be wrong.

dragonshiner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
OMG! This would be so cool! Or, so warm. I have quite a few of the supplies already and could probably scrounge up the rest before next winter to give it a try.
I live in NE Wisconsin so it's pretty bitter up here in the winters and heating our farm house with propane is a total sore. A little tweaking and tapping or heating guy friend for some help and maybe, just maybe we could subvert the heating bill a little bit.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I have something vaguely similar going right now on the chicken building. It is a 4x7 (footprint) run, lean-to against the front of the building at about a 60 degree angle so that it joins the building at about 8' up and covers one window. On sunny days I open the pophole into the run and also the window, and air thermosiphons very effectively thru it (cold air goes out pophole into floor level of run; hot air from the top of the run goes into the kennel). It would be even more effective, I think, if the window were at the *very* top of the lean-to and were larger. There are no popcans involved, just the medium-blue painted metal siding of the building. I have to manually open and close the window and popdoor though.

With our current daylength I can get literally 8+ C of heating out of it by the end of the afternoon -- that is, if the building starts out at 0 C, it will be 8 C or higher by the end of the day if I leave the other chicken runs closed (it is a big building with few chickens, so I can do this when weather warrants). On a comparable sunny day withOUT the window and popdoor open the building only goes up 1-2 C. Mind, back around New Years I was getting only 2-4 C heating out of it, because of the lower sun and shorter days. Still every little bit counts.

And btw, this is a 15x40' building we're talking about, being noticeably heated by a 4x7 lean-to *not* optimized for solar performance.

edited to add the *right* pic this time:

Chickensinwinterrun006-1.jpg

So I would say that the whole popcan heater concept is definitely worth looking into for anyone wanting to bump a building's temperature up during the day.

The two main limiting factors: a) the top of the collector (where the air goes into the building) has to be a bit lower than the inside ceiling of the building, but preferably the collector should span as much of the floor-to-ceiling space as possible; and b) you need to either manually operate the two openings or rig up some automatic system, either electrical-with-thermostat or I have read about systems with a light plastic sheet that sucks back against a grate when the 'heater' air is too cool. Otherwise the whole thing runs in reverse all night and *cools* the house :p

JME,

Pat

Im4dabirds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
New here and been reading this post. I saw it on BYC and was wondering if you could use those vents that they install in crawl spaces that automatically open at a certain temp and close at a certain temp. Not sure how they work but we had them on our old house. Anyone familiar with them?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been eyeing these things for a while. Actually planning on making the heat collector for a solar food dehydrator like this.

Check out this link for more detailed instructions
http://napenergia.freeweb.hu/gyak/szp/sztgyi_en.htm

Another method
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/GregAircol/AirCol.htm
And yet another. This is the one I am thinking about building.
http://h1.ripway.com/glensolar/GlensSolarHeater.htm

There is simply tons of information out there about harvesting heat from the sun. Its easy to do with a basic understanding of thermosyphon principles. Ever so much easier than building your own solar electric panel. Heck, there are probably more instructions here, if I get a chance to look for them! :D