Solar Lights

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a couple of solar lights for the house just in case the electricty goes out. They are called Solar Shed lights. I have one on my porch, am putting one in my living room(sure to be a conversation piece, Ha!) and got a solar lantern.
We seem to be having more tornados in our area and stronger winds. We usually have the power go out atleast a couple times a year. When the last tornado went thru we didn't have electricty for 3 days. None ran the fridge and freezers with a generator.
No lights just candles. So I got some solar lights that was on sale the other day. Thought it would be best to be prepared.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think solar lights would work great in a power outage. I have been watching for them to go on clearance or sale around here, but that hasn't happened yet. We have also been having more storms lately. Well, maybe not more but definately more severe.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ticks said:
Would solar lights work for heat-lamps?
Not even remotely. Heat lamps have a HUGE current draw. You would need a far FAR larger collector and battery system for anything like that, way way disproportionate to what you might think. NOT worth it.

I've heard that the solar powered shed lights are not particularly bright or long-lasting. It's not clear to me what their advantage would be over a regular ole battery powered lamp or flashlight, except in places where you can expect outages of several days or more?

Pat

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They aren't very bright. But atleast now I won't go bump in the dark. Everytime I get a flash light seems the batteries are almost or are dead.
I got one shed light at Habor Frieght on sale for $20.It is a 4 watt. The lantern for $19. and one at Meijers for $15. The one at Meijers has a remote control with it.It has l e d lights. (They are suppose to be brighter) You can them see their sites. www.harborfreight.com Don't know Meijers site. If you can't find it let me know and I will post the pics.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The first time I heard of using solar lights for emergencies was from a friend of mine. She had solar path lights. When the power went off during a storm and she knew it would be a while, she went and grabbed one of the path lights. She said it lit up the room. She said it was not super bright but better than candles.

I do not think solar lights would give off heat. At least not enough to substitute for a heat lamp.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
ticks said:
Would solar lights work for heat-lamps?
Not even remotely. Heat lamps have a HUGE current draw. You would need a far FAR larger collector and battery system for anything like that, way way disproportionate to what you might think. NOT worth it.

I've heard that the solar powered shed lights are not particularly bright or long-lasting. It's not clear to me what their advantage would be over a regular ole battery powered lamp or flashlight, except in places where you can expect outages of several days or more?

Pat
THanks, pat, wouldn't it be great if Heat Lamps were more energy efficient?

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with Pat not enough wattage to be used as a heat lamp.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coopy
I think this is a great idea......solar light is a great idea for a backup with power out. Beats candles anyday!
Smart idea! :)
You know I will be getting a few LOL