Solar oven info

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
This is my test oven, it is made from an old storm window 20"x22" the box is from cedar fence boards so it is weather resistant, I used 4 six footers at $1.30 each. The polyisocyanate insulation is left over from my solar collector but believe it to cost about $10. The tilt frame was made from one 2x4x8' and cost $2, the other lumber was scrap and on hand. This took about 3 hours to make to this point.

solar_oven7.jpg

In the upper right corner you will notice a small nail set at the same pitch as the glass, I call it a sun dog and will tell you when the oven is tilted right at the sun. When the front to back tilt angle and east to west swivel is set perfectly parallel to the sun the shadow will disappear.

solar_oven6.jpg

I also left the inside with the silver reflective foil the insulation came with thinking it may add in reflecting the sun to the black pot and so far has proved that. I have black aluminum sheets to slip in for more testing later. I will also test with a reflective aluminum shroud to act as a parabolic and should increase the temperature from 200F to 350F after done with these first tests.

solar_oven5.jpg

An easy to remove pipe with pot hanging from it is necessary to keep it level as you tilt the box every hour to follow the sun. I am going to buy a cast iron dutch oven to hang in there because the heavy mass of it will help keep the temperature stable through cloudy periods. You can regulate the temperature by not following the sun and keeping it a bit off angle.

During the day and the seasons the tilt angle will vary, for me at a latitude 36 degrees it will go from almost pointing straight up to the angle of which a 6' step ladder is when opened.

From my testing so far I will get good strong sun from 10am to 5pm in summer and maybe two hours less in the winter, outside temperature makes very little difference in the ovens inside temperature as I have proven with my solar collector, though the intensity is reduced and will lower the total available heat. I have two sheets of this glass and will test accordingly to see if the the double reflective surface saves more in re-radiation as it would block.

More info and data to follow

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Looks pretty impressive. I have the same question, have you cooked anything in it yet?
I saw a program this summer where they had a simple black box with a tilted top, like yours, covered with pexiglass. They cooked the food on a platter.
I just have to try this out with my black metal box and a piece of glass on top. I can tilt the box using blocks of wood or bricks.
You got me thinking.....

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Looks good! Have you cooked/baked anything in it yet?
Not yet, just simmered water. The weather hasn't been conducive for a full sun test yet and am waiting for Saturday when the rain will be gone.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Looks pretty impressive. I have the same question, have you cooked anything in it yet?
I saw a program this summer where they had a simple black box with a tilted top, like yours, covered with pexiglass. They cooked the food on a platter.
I just have to try this out with my black metal box and a piece of glass on top. I can tilt the box using blocks of wood or bricks.
You got me thinking.....
That's how I started just wedging blocks under it for the correct tilt but since you have to also turn the box to follow the sun it was a pain to keep the blocks and pot contents from spilling so I made a simple tilting mount and is very easy to use now. The final unit will be on a lazy susan kind of swivel.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Very nicely done! From the reading that I have done, it seems as though you have a truly great cooker built. I too will be very interested in how you make out on Saturday. Keep us updated on this project.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wow, that is an amazing oven. You put so much work into it, and have thought out all the issues. Makes my silly cooker seems a little amateurish. It works great, but it's not the permanent solution you have. I was able to take a frozen casserole to bubbling and hot in the middle in 90 minutes, though. That's faster than a conventional oven. You may end up with microwave fast times in yours.

http://solarcooking.org/plans/windshield-cooker.htm

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks Ldychef you just gave me a good idea, I have one of those windshield shades sitting new in the package for two years now and it will fit perfectly around my oven (i just measured it). I will make a simple wire frame and try it out and compare the data to the non-reflector mode. A reflector like that could easily turn the oven from a slow cooker to a conventional oven in a minute.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I added 2 foiled covered foam sheets to see how well they will reflect, I think aluminum foil on cardboard or the car windshield shade would reflect more. I just stapled welded wire fence on for now and may drill small holes in the top to slip the wires in for easy removal and storage. The wire frame makes it easy to bend the panels directly at the pot because you see it light up when spot on. High winds would probably blow these off.

solar_oven10.jpg

I also don't get full sun until noon because of big trees nearby. I do have full sun areas in my yard but in the testing stages I am not going to walk that far every few minutes. Right now it is 5' out my back door and protected by a stockade fence which will give me 4.5 full hours of direct sun - today it is partly cloudy.

At 1 pm I put two pounds of small Yukon potatoes in the pot, washed and let soak for about an hour first. My pot is a cheap $10 steel one with a glass top with tiny vent hole (Fred's called it a dutch oven). I also took the wires hanging the pot and connected them to a small grill grate to make it easier to move the pot.

solar_oven9.jpg

I used a digital thermometer and stuck the probe in the largest potato (center of spud) there are 14 potatoes at about 2 oz each with the probe in one about 4 ounces. I believe the glass pot lid makes a big difference as I felt a potato and it is quite hot in the pot as compared to the inside of the oven plus you can see the food.

At dusk I did a slight modification, only took 15 minutes to make my life easier.
solar_oven12.jpg

I removed two boards and added a pair of hinges to the back. Note the patent pending wedge clamp.

solar_oven11.jpg

I can now easily remove the pot without handling the glass front, less chance to break too.

Probe in center of 2.5" potato - I boil tested my probe and was 2F low so added that to these numbers.
1 pm - 76F
1:30pm - 94F
2 pm - 114F
2:30 pm - 142F
3 pm - 152F - fairly cloudy from here on
3:30 pm - 160F
4 pm - 165F
4:30 pm - 165F
5 pm - 175F
5:30 pm - 165F
6 pm - 160F

I could smell the cooking potatoes when near the oven and it was good. The final results were a bit under cooked for baked potatoes but were almost done, they tasted ok. Another hour of sun would of finished them me thinks.

If weather is good tomorrow will move it out to my sunny field for another test but have no more potatoes. I will have to try and think of something else for a long baking test that I have handy in the house.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am going to toss in a suggestion that has worked for me very well. I place my food in a round, black coated cake pan and then invert a clear glass bowl over the top. It worked better for me than the tall sided black pan with the a glass lid.

I placed a frozen casserole under the bowl, and it was boiling in 90 minutes. I was able to tilt the cone tip in the bucket to make minor adjustments for good reflection.

On a second occasion, I heated up the black pan with the glass bowl in place for two hours and was able to fry hamburgers and hot dogs on it.

After this first experiment, I added a cardboard tube (from wrapping paper) across the expanse of the shield, having attached non skid plastic shelf liner on the ends, and it popped out the sides a bit, solving the reverse angle of the top of the shield. It ended up being a nice arc, reflecting in a more efficient manner.

I should note that this reflector is for an SUV, thus is over sized.

This is no way as permanent as yours, but it will helpful if there is a bug out. What you have done is what I have aspired to, but lack the tools.

Picture105.jpg