solar oven project - still no joy

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check it ouuut

3969_001.jpg

This little project has been on the back burner for months. Other than the aluminum flashing for the reflector and the liner box, it is all made of salvage materials. Well, okay, so the reflector and inner box are the majority of the materials, but the plywood, paint, glass and cardboard insulation were salvage.
I just finished it the night before last.
Too bad I have to work 2 - 12 hour shifts this weekend, and can't play with it. Oh well, working these long shifts means more time off later to play with my toys.

and with the lid/reflector open:

3969_003.jpg

Interesting enough, especially after my post about "family lukewarm to SS", my DD took some serious interest in this project and hung out in the garage helping me with the finishing bits. Maybe this stuff is starting to catch on.....

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very cool, you will have to let us know what max temp you achieve.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice! I have been looking at them online... definitely something I could use in my climate. Curious about your maximum temp also. Let us know!

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Shoot. I forgot that I still need to buy a thermometer for it

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
sufficientforme said:
Shoot. I forgot that I still need to buy a thermometer for it
Keep an eye out in the BBQ sections they usually have a really long temp probe for under $5 right now... but the old fashioned dial ones not the big fancy electric ones. But I wanted one of the fancy ones for my smoker and hubs found one for under $15 that works quite well and would probably do good in a solar oven.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bought a new one for our RV on clearance for 2.00, this is a great time of year for those clearances.