Some new Bills going through Congress that may effect us.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They always have to throw something into a bill that gets them all whacky. All we can do is hope that some good will come of things.

As for school lunches. I work at school and I have seen lunches and I have seen lunches!

The district I used to work for was HORRIBLE about their lunch and breakfast menu. Anytime you serve a thing called a "super doughnut" and call it nutrition you have to wonder. The thing was so full of S-T-U-F-F that the sugar and grease were probably low on the ingredients list!! :sick

Then we had fine meal planning like hot pocket day. Breakfast was a hot pocket with hard toast and lunch was ... you guessed it a hot pocket with over boiled broccoli. Or we had yellow meal. Government peaches (the best part) corn, macaroni and cheese. Can you say empty starchy carb calories? I worked there for 9 years and the kids got VERY VERY excited when they served the "good" meal, it was processed turkey chunks in packaged gravy served on top on instant mashed potato flakes. Yummy.

If they ever served fruit it was government surplus or mushy apples.

At the district I currently work things are much MUCH better. We have fruit or juice and milk at both breakfast and lunch meals. Sometimes they tend to dump all the leftover fruit together and make a glop out of it which kids won't eat. I mean really peaches, pineapple and applesauce DO not belong in the same bowl. The veggies are always nice and green, gently steamed and served with each lunch. They even serve chicken on the bone and biscuits and gravy or scrambled eggs from time to time! Still there is more than the necessary allowance of corn dogs, chicken nuggets and yes we still get the old hot pocket. Their worst day of meals is what I call the "constipation special". It starts with a cheese hot pocket for breakfast, a grilled cheese sandwich and cheese stick for lunch with corn on the side.

I wish that more local fresh produce would be included in our school lunch program. Some of these kids get the majority of their days nutrition while they are at school.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Those of us working hard to support ourselves will be affected by the newest proposed tax that was in the news this week. A VAT, value added tax, that is a national sales tax on all goods bought and services received. Glad I planted a TON of potatoes this year. Might be selling them on the black market.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Me too! SHEESHH!

The economy is bad enough. Adding a VAT???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We all need to work hard this summer. The less of anything that I have to buy the happier I am about it.

We all need to get out of completely debt if we are not (and I am not). Save a little for a rainy day and get prepared. I think even worse economic times are ahead for this country. After all the whole world in under strain these days.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Just bought more lentils, mung beans for sprouting, dried vegetables, and dried shredded coconut (for making coconut milk) to add to the stash.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Every time I go to vitamin cottage I try to grab a few things and add it to the stash pile. I usually only spend $5-$10, but it has added up over the past 6 months :D

The biggest trick for me is finding stuff my husband and son wont get in to. Hubby is finally catching on that stash stuff is off limits, but my autistic son doesn't get it. He even dismantled the lock on a chest to get in to one of my stash places and take out the spices he wanted

:barnie

I USED to keep cans of coconut milk. Now that Max decided he likes it, I have to buy the dry stuff and make coconut milk as needed. I just need to make sure he doesn't see me doing it!
:gig

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I printed out the h r bill and showed it to our superintendent of finance talk about excited. it figures to .30 cents a student.
I've already had my kindergarden students planting a garden for the past two years as part of "Green Team" . So far it's only two campuses but I don't see my middle and high school students taking the time but I"m excited also. now if there are not a ton of red tape:rolleyes: