Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Joel, I'm glad your place is safe. I've got a friend with a farm in Nelson and they're fine too, but said it's still smokey.

Your place is absolutely beautiful by the way!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely homestead! I hope the fires stay away from you and pray for rain. We were in a drought in 2011, trees died, hay was $80 to $150 a round bale. And the fires! It was awful. We had over 2 months straight of temperatures of over 100 degrees F.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your place is lovely and the view is amazing! I'd love to see those mountains in winter.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Joel_BC, beautiful pictures! We lived in Washington state for 8 years, and used to go to BC often (we had a good friend who was a dual citizen). We had a lot of fun "waaaaay back when" skiing Blackcomb and Whistler. It was fun to start in slop at the bottom of a ski run, take the lift literally up through the clouds, and end up above the clouds with tons of snow and big blue skies and sunshine. Then we'd ski down through the clouds... I would've never thought then that I'd be raising chickens now... :) Life is funny like that!
We have enough snow, and places to ski, in winter around here that we've never gone to Blackcomb/Whistler in winter. Besides, the winter highways can be formidable. But we drove there last fall and enjoyed it. It was kind of off-season, but there were a lot of high-tech mountain bikers using the lifts to get them up top and then let gravity pull them d o w n (swiftly)! They were not only wearing helmets and knee & elbow pads, but braces for their back & necks... it's a maimingly dangerous pastime otherwise.

Anyhow, we took the lift ride up, then went across on the peak-to-peak ride, feeling like birds when we looked down. There were hiking trails on both peaks with boulders and interesting plant life. It was great.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really miss not having a basement or cellar! The tomatoes look great! Ours did not do well this year.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your place looks lovely! And you have a great view out there...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been harvesting some things from the gardens. Here are preparations for some of the tomato sauce that's in the works these days. Roasted garlic and fine-chopped, sauteed onions are part of the recipe. The sauce gets canned and stored in our basement cold room.

View attachment 4403

Very clean looking tomatoes