Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
broccoli in basket.jpg
As I said, we moved most of the brassica plantings this year - out of the kitchen garden and into our big garden. That, plus some attention to warding off any possible clubroot problems, and we've produced the healthiest brocolli with the largest heads that we've ever had the joy to grow!
broccoli with cup.jpg

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your place is beautiful! Thanks for sharing pictures, it is nice to see others progress. I am still limping along with the garden and learning as I go.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Time to harvest onions. They grew pretty large and healthy this year. Some of the crop...

some onions 2014.jpg

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so jealous of your harvest. I'm lucky to have much left from the deer and elk. I'm putting in posts and fence after the rain comes back and softens the ground enough for digging.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm so jealous of your harvest. I'm lucky to have much left from the deer and elk. I'm putting in posts and fence after the rain comes back and softens the ground enough for digging.
We're fenced for deer but not for elk. There's always been a modest-size elk herd about a 20-minute drive south of us in our valley, but thankfully not any nearer so far!

We needed to be fenced also for bears. We found they'd been able to climb over our deer fence and got into fruit trees, compost piles, and squash and corn patches. So we added an electric-fence strand.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, the only thing I've needed to fence out is the stupid groundhogs!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some new pics from this summer. First one is of a portion of our big garden... looks "all green" (boring) but shows our 8-foot-high corn, unusual for our region, and squash planting. The other two are views of our pond area, and you can see the difference from the pond pic on page-1 of this thread. Plants surrounding the pond have developed.

We're getting a hot summer here - unfortunately with numerous forest wildfires in the region. Adds smokey air, occasionally, and a nervousness factor to summer. We feel blessed that the fires haven't come too awfully close to our place, though there were a couple in the back reaches of our valley.
Big Garden Corn 15.JPG
Pond 15-1.JPG
Pond 15-2.JPG