Some uses for coffee filters....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You guys have probably already seen this. I got it from a friend at church. We don't use coffee filters, but I thought I pass this on.

Uses for Coffee Filters: Not just for making coffee....

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll
leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China. Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to
absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined
with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot
with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.

14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Don't forget about putting food coloring drops and putting it in a clothes pin to make a butterfly craft for the kiddos!

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have taken used coffee filters and rinsed, dried, and pressed them then used them in craft projects. I have dropped food coloring on damp filters to get colored paper to use. I have used them to line pot bottoms to stop dirt leaking ( I use newspaper for this in larger pots) and I also have used them when making upside down tomato planters. It is part of the transplantation process. I will work up the instructions one day this week and post to my blog.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We used to use them to filter mosquito larvae out of our spring water when we were "living off the land"! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great ideas! I used to work at a fastfood restaurant in my teen years. They got stacks of free filters from their coffee vendors, so that is what we used to clean all the windows in the restaurant. It really worked great--no lint.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I used them with my Tiger Cub Scouts to make snowflakes. We used the white ones. At home for coffee I use the unbleached ones. Now I've got a nice list of things I can do with the all the white ones I have left over!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you buy an "old fashioned" percolator for coffee then we wouldn't have to buy filters and be more SS.

time to cut out disposable items from our lives right? just a thought.

My mom had that old timey percolator forever.

An instant coffee is still cheaper I think????

not being a coffee drinker not sure on prices and taste that is so important to coffee drinkers..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom still has her glass perculator....she has kicked the habit but keeps it for guests. I always get a kick out of watching it! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Couldn't be without the old percolater! Do y'all remember that Maxwell House coffee commercial that started with the coffee perking in the glass top perc? :D

We don't use paper filters either.. most days we use our fancy-dancy $10 programmable Mr. Coffee coffee maker with a gold reuse filter, so we can wake up to coffee already brewed.

When dh messes with the oil furnance, he filters the fuel with a paper filter and puts it back in the tank. He told the service man that and he said he does the same thing at home... :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Looking at that list though, it did give some new idea for using rags that I diligently save but only have used for cleaning. I think I will start a kitchen rag box.
BTW I use old plastic widow screening in the bottom of my pots to keep the dirt from washing out- I used the same set for years as they don't deteriorate. :cool: