Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well they won't eat the neighbors but they take their job seriously to protect and serve. maremmas are more of a flock dog than a perimeter dog so they are always within sight of their herd and i really like that. and they are more a charge and bluff instead of an attack dog but they will fight to the death if they have to and with all the predators around here i sleep better with them on duty. of course ben is a little small to be on duty but he's a growing boy and it won't be long. the lady down the road from me a couple of miles had a black panther on her back deck looking in the sliding doors the other evening. scared the puddin' out of her. she had seen a huge track in her horse barn earlier in the week, where something had jumped over the farm gate to get inside. now we know what it was. she will only go out to feed in the daylight now and takes her dog and a gun with her. she had been putting scraps out past her deck for the raccoons to eat but has totally stopped that too. I'm like, ya think.....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
He's cute. And, if I had to deal w/big cats, I'd probably want some type of LGD as well.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, so I'm slow i admit it freely. went to the land of oz and brought home a new baby boy. meet Benton or baby ben as i call him. he is a Maremma lgd who has come to see if he can be of help to Katie when it comes to keeping critters away from here. View attachment 543

What a cutie pie!! :)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD some of the lovely creatures we have to deal with include the mountain lions, black bears, red wolves, coyotes, bobcats and wild hogs and of all of those i am most afraid of the mountain lions and the wild hogs. neither of them have much respect for humans. i know they are in the woods surrounding my place but a big barking dog pretty well keeps them away from here.
ssshhh..., can you hear it? listen, its the sound of the neighbor in my meadow baling this last cutting of hay. happy, happy, happy. it dried well and never got a drop of rain on it. yea!!! almost ready for winter, almost.
well dd and sil came Thursday nite to bring a load of their things to put in their outbuilding here and stayed the nite. Friday we were sitting in the back yard and she had her bird on a leash sitting on her shoulder. both sil and i told her he was not snapped to her shirt well but she chose to ignore us. he is a tame bird don't ya know, he loves her and he's ok. you should have seen the look on her face when that tame bird took off, pulled loose from her shirt and flew off over the pond and out into the woods and you should have seen the look on sil's face when he saw $1,000. worth of bird fly away. first of all, to me it's obscene to pay that kind of money for a parrot and second if you are going to pay that for a stupid bird wouldn't you take better care of it. i truly question some peoples priorities and common sense. we tromped over the hill and thru the woods and praise God finally found the poor scared thing tangled by his leash about 10 feet off the ground in the briars. i can only hope dd learned a valuable lesson from the birds big adventure.
youall have a blessed evening, I'm headed out to fix a gate now that its cooler.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My kids wanted a violet lorry(?) years ago. But the dumb thing cost close to $1000! I said no way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goatgurl, ask my son if pet birds fly away, lol. "But, he loves me - he'd never fly off."

Oh yes he did! And, I swear he snubbed his nose at him when he walked under that tree begging the bird to come back.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a cute pup! I've been reading about them over on BYH and they sound like wonderful LGD's.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weeethat dog is super adorable!! And my goodness you have quite a lot of land! Someday farm sounds amazing (no pun intended but it sounds a lot like my hopefully someday dream) though I'll probably have to move to another state!
The thought of dealing with Mountain lions, black bears, red wolves, coyotes, bobcats and wild hogs kind of scares me. You are brave brave folks

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i don't know DenimDeb, wouldn't a violet lorry be fun. thank God i wasn't asked to donate funds for that dumb bird, no way jose! I'm just thankful they got him back, dd would have been devastated.
@sumi, i think they are good dogs. I've always had Anatolians before and Katie is my first Maremma. i got her when i still had a male Anatolian with the idea that they would make a good team but i lost him when she was about 8 months old so she has had to fend off the world by herself. he had started to think the world was his and a neighbor shot him when he was him in the pasture with some heifers. he wasn't bothering them but the neighbor thought he was going to... he is the only Anatolian that I've had that went walkabout but when that happened i decided to get another Maremma instead of another Anatolian. Katie is now 2 so hopefully she is old enough to teach ben the ropes. we'll see how things go.
@zoo2, i am truly blessed to have this place. it is what I've always wanted to do and how I've always wanted to live. is it perfect, not by a long shot but between the goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, pig, steer and the garden i stay busy. all i can say is keep dreaming and working toward that dream and you'll get there. the hard work is worth it. I'm going to stay here till i can't do anymore than totter to the hen house on my walker to gather an egg or two. dd and sil have realized that they are going to have to retire here to "take care" of me because i will never leave on my own accord. that's going to be a lot of years from now but getting old happens to all of us someday. not a bad thing when you consider the alternative.
and remember zoo2, all those animals in the woods are as afraid of you as you are of them, for the most part. exception being the mountain lion and wild hogs. but they would eat a goat or a sheep in a new york minute hence the LGD's

Latest posts