Someone gave me ALOT of ACV. What do I do with it?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to check my bottle of ACV from Walmart. It's a gallon jug. It does say that it's Apple Cider Vinegar, BUT, it says "diluted with water to 5% acidity", and the ingredients only say "apple cider vinegar", so they are kind of skirting around the fact that they DID add stuff to it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You're probably safe, bettacreek, since they HAVE to list ingredients....anything funky would be there. Since Americans expect all purchased foods to be exactly like the last one purchased and the one before that, they will make sure the acidity is standardized. I wouldn't worry about adding water to standardize the acidity too much. Considering it could be petroleum or grain vinegar instead!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used the cheap stuff today with some extra water for rinsing my hair. It's great for it. Shamooo, rinse normally, then use about an inch of vinegar in about a quart of water. The smell is gone once it dries, but it gets any residue off your hair and feels so good afterwards.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek, I think all commercial vinegar is diluted to a standardized percentage. I wouldn't worry about that. If it says apple cider vinegar it is most likely just that. I think the other stuff must say apple cider flavored vinegar. And it should say on the ingredient list if apples are involved.

(Side note: Everything I read says that one shouldn't use homemade vinegar for pickling because it might not be strong enough. But commercial vinegar is all diluted to 5%, and mine is full strength. :hu I really need to get some litmus strips!)

dragonlaurel, my mother used to always rinse my red hair with ACV - a stronger solution though; I think it was a good shot of vinegar to a cup of water (and then I sat in the sun till dry; adds nice highlights). I smelled like salad dressing until it dried :lol: Good thing I like vinegar. My mother said that her mother had done this too - ACV for my red-headed aunt, and lemon juice for my blonde mother. Don't know why, except that ACV is sort of red, and lemon juice is sort of blonde.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
My family dose alot of cooking (I do alot of cooking ;) ) and I've been looking for something to wash down the counter tops with. The stuff under the sink burns my nose. And since I started making my own bread, a clean counter top is doubly important. So a half cup to a gallon? And this is good for mopping floors too? FMIL spends alot of money on those swifter things. They are such a waste. Thanks for the tips guys!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sprinkle the cheap vinegar around my blueberry and lilac bushes to acidify the soil. It has to be better than the battery acid that I've heard the commercial blueberry growers use for that purpose. It also works as a weed killer.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
mine just grew a mother. *beams* unpasteurized organic, from a store.

Now I need to make my own!! *hunts for the thread about how to go about this*

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've used vinegar for a weed killer too. It's effectiveness seems to depend on the weather. I found it works best in the hot dry days of summer.

Battery acid? :ep

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I was planning on getting some black berry bushes or blue berry bushes. How much vinegar do you use to treat the soil? How often do you need to re-apply?

I'm gonna use some of it this week to mop the floors in the kitchen and hallway. I need to get some baking soda to scrub the oven with. Thanks for the tips guys!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I was planning on getting some black berry bushes or blue berry bushes. How much vinegar do you use to treat the soil? How often do you need to re-apply?

I'm gonna use some of it this week to mop the floors in the kitchen and hallway. I need to get some baking soda to scrub the oven with. Thanks for the tips guys!
In the summer I just put about a cup-full in a gallon of water for each bush, and do that 2 or 3 times throughout the summer (if and when I remember).

Latest posts