Someone gave me over 150 lbs. of pears.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been canning like crazy. Pear butter, pear sauce, stewed pears, and just pears. Does anyone have any other easy ideas for using up the pears?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's a great idea! I have a couple dehydrators. How thick should I make the slices?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Maybe you could freeze some just plain pear puree for adding to breads, cakes, etc. I'm sure it would be great in recipes that call for applesauce.;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about pear fruit leather. Pear pie!!! I have great recipes for a pear cheddar pie and pear caramel pie. You can freeze them in foil-lined pie plates, then stack the frozen pie filling in freezer bags to be placed in crusts, thawed and baked later.

How about I come on over and unload some off you? :D

me&thegals

Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
That's a great idea! I have a couple dehydrators. How thick should I make the slices?
I've bought dried pears that were entire pear halves, just dry. Otherwise, I usually slice my stuff about 1/2 inch thick, then dry. I think it's somewhat personal, though. Do you want it still kind of soft and chewy or very thin and crispy?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Freezing sounds good. It would definitely save some work. Fruit leathers sound good, too. I think I'll save pie for when I have more time. These are ripening quick. I did dry pears a few years back but I think I made them too thin. I would like them chewy this time. How far do you live me&the gals?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My slices for dehydrating are determined by whatever I use to do the slicing- a mandolin for thin slices and thicker by hand.
The thin ones are great for making tarts and such later on- the thicker ones are nice for eating out of hand. Just remember thicker uses more time to dry but less chance of sticking to the dehydrator screens.
My favorite dried fruit by far.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Freezing sounds good. It would definitely save some work. Fruit leathers sound good, too. I think I'll save pie for when I have more time. These are ripening quick. I did dry pears a few years back but I think I made them too thin. I would like them chewy this time. How far do you live me&the gals?
I was just joking--I'm in central WI. Oh well... Lucky you!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a man that owns a n orchard give us between 150 to 200 lbs of peaches. By the time I could can them I had to throw away about 40 lbs. that were gone bad. I canned the rest, I made peach butter, peach preserves and then just plain peaches.

YOu could make pear jelly or pear pickles. You can also save some for just eating on under a big shade tree with a cold cup of iced tea or lemonade.

have fun :)

Latest posts