Something wrong with my Pebbles?? Goat people...help!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so Pebbles, my Pygmy had her little one...May 8th. I was out there today, and she still has a discharge...like...Ewwww, brown. Is this normal!?? Did we hurt her somehow when we had to pull the babies?? HELP! If this is normal...how long should I see it?? Its REALLY gross!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
J, does it smell bad? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Here is an answer to a similar question on a site I found:

if it is much like a menstrual period, this is perfectly normal to happen usually about 5-8 days after kidding. It will more than likely last about 2 weeks. Now, if she is having bleeding from some other place or an inordinate amount of profuse bleeding - please let me know or if this seems like an emergency situation, call a vet. If her bleeding is vaginally and not in large amounts and she is otherwise acting fine, I would say this is the normal post kidding vaginal discharge all does have to one extent or another- some more some less.
Site:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Goats-3480/2008/3/bleeding-1.htm

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I dont think it has a REALLY bad smell...just like...well.. a woman has on her cycle. Its not bright red...so thats good. Hmmm, 2 weeks. She is about 2 weeks after delivery. Maybe it will go away soon? Its just really gross..and I have to clean her straw out daily! :sick
She is eating and drinking normal...she does seem to want to eat LOTS more, but I am guessing because of makeing milk for Half Pint..she needs more. Her eyes are bright...gums pink...so I guess she is OK? :fl

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would say yes! Glad you posted this so I know what to expect after Little Mo lambs....I would be thinking the same thing...is there something left behind in there?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would say yes. Both Ginger and Mya were very goopy for way too long afterwards. And started a few days later, too. Ick. Homemade feminine protection for goats? I've heard that adult Depends and duct tape....... :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Or you could borrow my dog.... :rolleyes: :sick He is the official butt cleaner here and I'm glad he has taken over that responsibility for me! :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Or you could borrow my dog.... :rolleyes: :sick He is the official butt cleaner here and I'm glad he has taken over that responsibility for me! :D
:sick
OK Bee, I think I threw up a little in my mouth! :sick
So I will just watch her for a few more days...see how she does. If she doesnt "clean up" by the end of next week....I will call the vet out. My Nelly, the Ewe...didnt have this discharge...at least I didnt see it. I guess Im just a worried new goat momma. :D

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a few goats did this it should go away in a couple days If it smells bad or birght red I would call the vet then good luck with the new babies

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the brown goo discharge can last for weeks definitely

very normal for goats after having kids

my goats "butts and tails" are a disaster for about 2-3 weeks after kidding at least lol having the white boer goats means I can "see" the back end very well and it ain't pretty lol

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ewww, Farmer...Thanks for that tho! At least Pebbles is brown, LOL
SO glad to know its normal. I can relax a bit now. Whew!