Sometimes I envy the Amish.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
*takes deep breath*

I don't tell too many people this because someone once made me feel ashamed about it but with the way the economy is going I don't think I should be ashamed about it BUT...

We haven't had running water in the house for 7 years!!

There, I said it, got it out...can breath now! lol

Seriously, we met an Amish man who was logging my parents woods. He and his logging partner needed a ride home. My husband offered (since the woods are right across from our house) and he asked if they cared if the kids and I rode along, too so they could see an Amish community. They said no problem and were very nice about it. They talked our ears off!! Jonathon, the boss lol, invited us into his home. His wife was away visiting family in another state and it was just him and the five kids at home.

We were showed the cows and he told us that his wife was getting chickens soon. Then the girls asked their dad about dinner. I asked if he was going to cook and he said, "No way! We're ordering pizza!" His oldest daughter said "but dad, no phone!" It was funny. He asked my husband to drive him to the community phone and he trusted me to watch his five kids while they went!! Had a nice conversation with the kids. They had running water in their house and when I explained that we didn't, oh I wish you could have seen their faces!! You could have knocked them over with a feather!!

And before anyone asks, we made the choice about the water because it meant we could live here without having a mortgage or property payment. We haul our water in, usually only have to haul it in once a week. We also catch rain water. I heat water on the stove and fill the tub (not full, but about 4 gallons) with warm water to scrub the kids. Sometimes we run over to grandmas for a shower LOL We also use our dishwater after I have washed the dishes to flush the toilet. That way, no outhouse is needed, and the toilet is flushed plenty! I just rather use dirty water to flush it than clean water.

We also catch rain water for outside use.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow Quail! I mean WOW! You shouldn't be ashamed, the rest of us spoiled brats should. I wonder if I could do without tap water? It's something I take completely for granted.

I sort of envy the Amish at times when my life feels too crazy, hectic, and expensive. But I am also quite fond of my marriage to the person I chose, my college degree, my Internet service etc.

I grew up in a household that was religiously oppressive (at least in my opinion) and it was no picnic. Not to say that the Amish are across the board oppressive, but it's good to be able to have your own thoughts and opinions about your faith without constantly looking over your shoulder.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Quail....do you get the silly questions like, "How do you take a bath?"...usually with a little snerl to the lip? I got that all the time growing up! I always told them, " Just like you, with soap and water!" :lol:

Really, if one is used to doing it and has a routine, its not as hard as it sounds. Laundry is about the hardest thing....I would miss the washing machine now that I have become accustomed to it. :)

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As someone who comes from an amish family ( my dad was a lil amish boy whose whole immediate family , siblings and parents left the Amish church when he was 16 :p and I have many amish aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) they really have most of the conveniences we do barring television, computer, radio. They just use propane or natural gas to run their appliances and pump water instead of electricity. Yes , they do take vacations, just like us. They go by train , or hire a van. In some states where horses are outlawed on the road ( like florida ) many also drive with the bishops approval. Amish with businesses will have a phone at the business or at the barn. Amish dairy farmers will have electricity in their barn to cool the milk as required by law so they can sell it as well in other businesses but not in the house. In areas where I live where there are many amish ,you will see a phone booth out in the middle of a country road, for the amish. Weirdest thing to see a phone booth surrounded by farm fields , I tell you what. They do get a chance to experience the life of us " english " when they turn 16. They are allowed to drive , live with electricity , and run wild as they want until they decide they want to join the church , usually when they marry. This is called " rumspringa ". Some never do join the church after they get a taste of living like us but most do . They aren't required to marry, there are bachelor amish. My one amish aunt recently died in her 80s , never married. The amish people are the kindest , most helpful folks around. They will be the first to show up with tools after a house fire or tornado does damage , even at an " English " neighbours. They are also a great source of learning if you need a self suffiency teacher ! I love living in a community with Amish neighbours and that my kids attend school with Amish children. I'm grateful I was raised by my sweet daddy with his Amish values. There is almost nothing I wasn't taught to do by my Dad (neutering a sheep , canning , raising animals, building a fence , cutting firewood , and on and on !) While there are some aspects of their religion I disagree with , they are wonderful folks. We should all be so kind , honest and hard working ! The world be an amazing place !

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail---do you not have a well? Where are you getting your big haul of water from? just wondering. How big of a storage unit do you have for the water?

I too could probably not have running water, it would drive me insane...LOL..but if I lost it, I am sure I could learn to adapt like you. Not having running water just means a little more work to acquire it....not like you DON'T ever have it or can't get it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Quail....do you get the silly questions like, "How do you take a bath?"...usually with a little snerl to the lip? I got that all the time growing up! I always told them, " Just like you, with soap and water!" :lol:

Really, if one is used to doing it and has a routine, its not as hard as it sounds. Laundry is about the hardest thing....I would miss the washing machine now that I have become accustomed to it. :)
Oh yes we get those stupid questions! Even had someone turn us into Child Services for not having running water in the house. Child services couldn't touch us because we have water in the house, just not in the pipes :lol: and my kids are CLEAN. When we don't feel like heating enough for the tub I will heat enough and sponge bath kids and wash hair in the bathroom sink.

The washer is easy, as we do have electric. We manually fill the washer ourselves with 5 gallon drums. Takes 7 gallons to do a medium load.

Quail---do you not have a well? Where are you getting your big haul of water from? just wondering. How big of a storage unit do you have for the water?
No, we do not have a well. My father in law lives 500 feet up the road from us with an outdoor handle on his well. We fill up there. I catch rain water, too.

I can wash a sinkful of dishes with 3 gallons of water :cool: Yes, I am proud of that LOLOL

We have several 5 gallon drums. They are food grade and were used to transport Olives!! I also have two 55 gallon food grade Olive drums. :) We also recycle our milk jugs to hold water. Trust me, I can store ALOT of water right now :)

We intended to have a well drilled, but the cost of one keeps going up and up and up. We have a fresh running underground spring on the back of our property, so now our goal is to buy a 2 man auger and gravity feed the spring water to the house.

I also want a scrub board and two large metal tubs, so if it ever comes down to it I can do laundry the old fashion way. :)

Really, what do we all think they did in the pioneer days?? No health department to check water and they had hand dug wells or creeks that they got their water from. :)

We are so used to it that it doesn't even phase us anymore.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail--we don't have a well or town water either. But we do have running water. We have a holding tank buried in the ground that holds 3300 gallons. The house is all plumbed and everything. We use a 450 gallon drum on a trailer to fetch water from the pumping station 2 miles away. When our house was built 14 years ago, the owners felt it was a cheaper option than digging a well. It works out fine for us.

Just saying...

If your comfortable with how you live,great. but there are alternatives to not having a well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you sure can store alot of water! You learned exactly what you need and do it! Great the well is so close to the house...makes it easier.

I just saw a show that in Alaska that some towns MOST of the population tanks in water. And they have above ground septic situations. Wild show actually, how much harder it is to survive in Alaska......

But you are right...everything now is under code...in the olden days you didn't have to have well and septic and all to own a home etc. to get occupancy. Now there are "laws" and it is hard to revert back even if you wanted to do a more "pioneer" type lifestyle.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Quail--we don't have a well or town water either. But we do have running water. We have a holding tank buried in the ground that holds 3300 gallons. The house is all plumbed and everything. We use a 450 gallon drum on a trailer to fetch water from the pumping station 2 miles away. When our house was built 14 years ago, the owners felt it was a cheaper option than digging a well. It works out fine for us.

Just saying...

If your comfortable with how you live,great. but there are alternatives to not having a well.
That is an excellent idea!! Thank you I will share that with my husband! Oh thank you thank you!!

See, I really DO want running water :lol: I have just adjusted out of necessity!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I enjoy the zen of depooping- I get out with my brooms, manure forks and wheel barrow and go around checking things out while I clean up- I listen to the birds and watch wild life and just work out problems.
Now this will stay with me for a LONG while :lol:

I am just catching up with this thread, very interesting and soul searching to see what we can live comfortably without when we don't agonize over living without it but embrace the other riches we have.